1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staring at people

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Delorean, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Delorean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone, it's me again!

Today I noticed something: I have the habbit of stare the boys whom I found cute/interesting. For exemple, today I clearly stared at a boy who I'm sure that is gay, and above all, cute. (It's really hard to me get interested in guys who are clearly gay). This boy takes the same charter bus than I do to go to college.

Since my social skills are almost null, I really don't know how to make him notice me (or any other boy) so I unconsciously stare them, hoping that they notice me and come talk to me... But I feel very rude doing something like that, but i just can't handle to avoid this behaviour.

Well... I can say for sure that he noticed that I was looking at him, and i think he didn't take it that well.

Some advices? Something like how to talk with people who you're interested in, or just how to stop staring them for too long. :***:

2. Ravi-VIXX777

Note: I'm definitely not a social butterfly, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Sometimes it's not the stare that makes the impression, but the facial expression. Try having a gentle smile, not an awkward 'dirty mind' smile aha. I personally like getting information on who I like before I initiate talking via Facebook, friends, or the people he hangs around with.

But to begin talking with him, just explain who you are like in orientations. Ya know, the 'Hello, my name is ____". If he's not a jerk, he'll say his name in response. Answer back by asking questions. If you want to know someone, ask questions. Most people love talking about themselves. Maybe ask questions on what music he likes, sports, interest. Goodluck!

3. Hiems

I also look, but not stare, at guys. I say not stare because I do 1-2 second glances every 30 seconds. I never stare for long periods of time because that comes off as very obvious. While I do this, I pretend to use my phone to make it seem as if I am doing something else. I can't help myself either, so you're not alone haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And perhaps the guy didn't notice you staring. Maybe his mind was on something else...

I'm not experienced in approaching people because I'm too shy. I usually talk to guys who happen to be attractive when they end up with me somehow, be it a group project or a coworker. Most of it is icebreakers stuff anyway just to get ourselves acquainted with each other. However in those circumstances, I also talk to anyone, guy or girl, just to be friendly.

Perhaps someone else who's done this before can give some advice.

4. Delorean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well... I'm pretty sure he noticed me... I was sneak peeking him while we was "spleeping" (i swear i didn't stare him more than 5 seconds), but he waked and looked directly at. I almost jumped off the bus.

And about approaching people... they won't feel unconforable with a stranger talking to them suddenly?

5. Hiems

I guess it depends on the situation. If you see an attractive guy on the street and you walk up to them to talk suddenly, then I imagine that would be awkward for everyone involved...

But in contexts that seem more appropriate for approaching people, e.g. classrooms, work settings, LGBT groups, talking to someone is usually not weird. For instance, I was a teaching assistant for chemistry with another student who was younger than me. Since we both were studying the same major, I started to talk about him about classes and giving advice.

Usually approaching someone is easier if you have an idea of what to say. Even as something as simple as this person having a Pokemon bookbag (IDK, I'm making this up) could spark a conversation about Pokemon. Find something about the person that could spark a conversation. Then just go for it.