1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Absol, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I need to go to therapy, my depression, self-esteem, anxiety, or whatever it is, isn't getting better, but I don't know how to go about this. I've done some searching online for some therapists around where I live, and I think I found one that might work. I'm thinking about sending her an email, but I don't know what to say in it...

If I do go, I'll have to tell my parents because they would be my way to get there since I don't drive. Problem is, I don't know how to go about telling them. It's not that I don't want to them to know, it's just that I feel ashamed. I know I shouldn't, but yeah...

I honestly don't want to go, but I'm tired of feeling so bad all the time.:help:

2. Incognito10

Do your parents place stigma on therapy? Would they pry and want to know why? I ask because all this is creating the feelings regarding therapy you have. My family has a history of depression and everyone is really expressive, so they mostly value therapy and place no negative on therapy. Above all, remember that seeking therapy should be viewed as a wise and responsible action, not a source of shame--think about all the people who bottle up all their anxieties and depression and let it slowly ruin their life. By going to therapy, it demonstrates your knowledge about the appropriate course of action, oppose to inaction or ineffective approaches. In addition, remember that your therapy is private and you do not have to discuss with your family the exact details--people go for many reasons--depression, anxiety, career counseling, academic guidance among a myriad of other topics. Therapy does not equate to a mental health disorder either; yes, some people in therapy do have mental health disorders, but not all.
    :slight_smile:

Also, as far as initiating contact, you can just send an email and state you would like to set up an appointment. At this point they may ask routine questions about scheduling or what brings you to therapy (your reply can be "anxiety." you do not have to go into great detail, just give the general reason. If you're looking for a therapist who is expressively gay affirmative or experienced in that area, you certainly can ask in the email).

#2 Incognito10, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could not have said it better than Incognito. Great insight.

As he said, I hope you decide to pursue therapy. It honestly works wonders, and nobody in their right mind will judge you for it because it does help a lot. Be honest with your parents. If they're anything like mine, they'd appreciate an honest reason and that'll clue them in to your situation. Just say that you've heard incredible things about therapy, and you want to see if it helps your depression/anxiety. There's definitely no harm in that.

4. IsThisAName

What they said. :slight_smile: Therapy really works wonders. My therapist has done so much for me and just being able to talk to someone privately who has an outsiders perspective is a great thing. Not only has my therapist helped me with my depression anxiety, but she's also been incredibly accepting of my sexuality and really helped me accept myself. She's also helping me figure out how to come out to different people. Therapy is great and even though you feel you don't really want to go, once you start going, you will enjoy it because it honestly makes you feel SO much better. It is worth it. Best of luck <3