1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I stop being so hard on myself?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware Of You, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I find it incredibly hard to let myself like who I am. I am constantly fighting my own sexuality (I don't think I will ever be happy being gay) and I never think that I am good enough. Even though I am doing alright for a 23 year old (I am on a sponsored PhD studentship and I have 2 degrees already) I think I am failing at life. People say I am good looking and I think I am ugly and I have no idea why people ask me out of what my boyfriend sees in me.

I can't go on like this, I hurt myself and I am scared that I may not see 25 the way things feel sometimes

2. ZenMusic

Realise that while you may have your faults, so does everyone. But everyone has something great inside them. Look at yourself : What do you see? There must be something you like about yourself.

3. Incognito10

I can identify, unfortunately.

Are you in therapy?

Sorry I have no words of consolation to offer. Again, I feel the same and have for years and do not know a solution. I've tried all meds and am about to get back into counseling.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well first of all u should really go see a therapist

Secondly u have nothing to feel ugly about. U have a bf who loves u and u do have a look u just don't think u do. I can see u have high expectations but u have to learn its ok to fail bc that's how we learn. If u spend your whole entire life like this you'll always think of yourself as a failure but in reality your at the top of your game! U have 2 degrees already and your 23 y/o. U should be proud of yourself not bringing yourself down.

Thirdly I hoped this gave u a bit of enthusiasm bc u seem alright I hope you have a great day :slight_smile: now come here and give me a hug. (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

5. CharlieChalk

Firstly, nice name and avatar (Paramore FTW :icon_wink).
    Secondly, I'm totally with you on the fighting yourself, not being good enough, being 23 and the whole 25 thing.
    Thirdly, two degrees and a sponsored PhD?! Can I just say WOW! That is incredible! I've got one degree and I had to fight so hard for that, so if you can't see yourself as anything other than failing, let other people who have been in a similar situation and got mediocre results inform you that the truth is you aren't failing at all!
    Other people aren't always wrong :thumbsup:

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beware of You Friend her u guys would be great friends and she looks like she can really help u and make u feel better

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Confidence is key. Self acceptance is another. I didn't have either when I was in grad school either. I was worried that if I didn't get my doctorate I'd be a failure.

Then came my "fuck it life goes on" attitude. That changed me for the better.

It takes a while to get there but you need to find peace within yourself and realize a lot of people would kill to have two degrees. You sound pretty successful to me, and i bet others have told you so but also have told you to be proud of yourself and your accomplishments.

My college professors said the same thing. It took a while to take to heart but you will find what you are looking for.