1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

art project

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Danny19, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Danny19

ok so i have a quick question. I have a project for my printmaking class and i don't really know what to do. The assignment is that we have to draw a girl that was randomly selected from class and then we will carve it in this thing called a linoleum block. and we can draw her anyway she wants. I started something but after seeing everyone else's in class i didn't feel so confident about it. Everyone is really good. Im not that great at drawing and lately my creativeness hasn't been so good. Since I'm having trouble trying to think of some cool way to draw her i thought i would ask you guys for some ideas? it can be anything really as long as its not offensive to her. I just don't want it to be too detailed or much going on because i have to carve it and its hard when it has a lot of stuff. Like some guy drew her as a spider so her head had the legs and 6 eyes. it looked dope.

so yea, i hope i can get some great ideas.. thanks in advance

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

First off, don't worry about your skill set as it is right now because everyone starts somewhere with their skills, and keeping at it is what makes it better.

Also, I get that, I can't draw a subject I know because any imperfection is like an insult to them. But in reality it's not. No one can draw perfectly. No one can make the paper an identical reality. So don't look at your work as a direct summary of her. Look at it like you are going to express your skill sets to the best of your ability. She really isn't going to care.

Sometimes when I need inspiring, I look at google images. I look up random things, It's insane where things will lead you. And before you know it you have ideas.

3. Danny19

thank you! so considering its due next week i just drew something quick. I don't know if i like it much but i don't have time to change my mind. So lets see how it goes. If i like it maybe ill post a picture haha

4. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

One interesting idea you might try is an open composition focusing on some detail of the person you find interesting. An open composition means that the subject matter extends past the edge of the block/canvas/surface you are drawing on. Sort of like a closeup shot of just a detail. Just be careful carving the block, because the carving tools are really easy to hurt yourself on. Always work cutting away from you.

5. Turkishtowel

What if you drew just her eye or something? It would be cool if you drew one feature, like an eye, and added in a cool design or pattern inside that suits her image.
    Sorry if my reply was too late....