1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by aspie musician, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Just wondering if there are others here that suffer from depression.By depression I do not mean ''feeling blue'' from time to time,depression meaning feeling like there is no purpouse in life and struggling to do basic tasks such as bathing,eating,etc.I managed to get through the last episode okay and am usually good at giving advice to people going through depressive episodes,but at the moment I feel at a loss.At the moment,as much as I do not particularly like asking for tips to get out of this seemingly endless dark pit,I feel pretty desperate.Pills usually have a negative effect on me but atm even considering that.Anything to feel better.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have gone through clinical depression as you have described. For me it took time, medicine and the support of others. It was precipitated by stress which is usually my trigger.

You need to have willpower and learn to recognize the symptoms and cut them off in the future. I know when I am going down hill and seek help immediately. It's best to head off the problem at the pass before you sink into the leaden and slow feeling where life sucks and you ignore basic maintenance.

Keep fighting it and get help. You will pull through it and will realize it wasn't that bad on the other side. You don't recognize it now but you will get through it.

3. anonym

anonym Guest

Yes I do. Honestly medication does help. On a good day I'm not particularly unhappy. On a bad day it can make the difference between being able to get out of bed and take a shower or not. Though ultimately you need to fix the issues that are causing the depression which is why I see a counsellor but unfortunately I don't seem to be getting anywhere with solving the cause. :frowning2:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Counseling and therapy are things that take time to help you have the tools you need. You will find the source sometime.

5. Decided to ask GP for a different antidepressant.Counselling and therapy-struggling to find the psychologist that is right for me but will keep on searching.Guess I am scared that he/she will tell me to go the Psychiatric route again but maybe I have nothing too worry about.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 06:40 AM ----------

Besides the decision to see a Psychiatrist is up to me.Should learn to be more assertive.If I feel that it will do more harm than good and have good reason to feel that way,then I have every right to reject such a suggestion should it come up.Feeling a bit better now,thanx for the support guys.Perhabs I can consider life coach sessions.I will feel like less of a patient then.Some self-help books and CBT should also help.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 06:42 AM ----------

Right now I am going to take a long,relaxing bath.Baby steps right?

6. Hygiene sorted for the day.Sorry if that sounds pathetic.Next goal is a 30 minute practise session(piano).Thats for a bit later though.Listening to music and browsing the site(hoping that music will cheer me up).Will have an early night as well.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good, a plan is always good in these cases. Now follow through and check off each activity so you can see you accomplished something.

8. Oops...mood swing...

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

Not sure if its mania though...too much stress at home...feeling hyper.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 09:14 AM ----------

Will be okay.Things at home are not good.But have to stay online coz feeling hyper.

9. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've started seeing a therapist a few months ago, and she says that I have severe depression. It's gotten a lot better over the years, at least that's what I've noticed. At the same time, I still feel very disconnected from other people. I used to put so much effort and work into everything I did, now I'm just drifting day by day, forcing myself to do my math homework at 10:30 at night and finishing the rest of it in the hours before. Less than half the effort I could be giving. I've abandoned more hobbies in the past few years than I had thought possible.

Since I'm on no medication as of right now, I've done the only things I could. I've surrounded myself with a group of people I love and trust. I'm also working on carving the negative influences out of my life. If I'm really feeling terrible, I find a close friend and just rant to them. Some days, it really helps just to get it all off my chest. I don't want to seem like a whiny teenager though, so I don't advertise the fact that something's wrong to everyone else. Since I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out, I can't give too much in the way of advice. I'm just letting you know you're certainly not alone.

10. Meagan

The last thing you need to do is attempt to justify your existence. Thats normally where I get caught up myself, I have issues with thinking myself mad with philosophy. If anything else, just make it your goal to get out of bed (I know in a way it seems contradictory) but one thing will lead to another, and taking it in small steps can help with you cope until this bought of depression.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Question... Have you been diagnosed as bipolar?

(I'm not prying just trying to find out based on your own indications in the thread)

12. Hi guys thanx for the responses.Kasey-yes I have.Unfortunately do not always handle the meds that well.Had many diagnoses though.Some people think I have it,others do not.I always knew deep down that I am bipolar I suppose,just did not want to admit it to myself.In the end we know ourselves the best of all.Made peace with it now though.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 10:14 PM ----------

If I have to be blunt: My dad is very judgmental of mental health probs.He definitely has some himself though.It is even more noticeable in comparison to me at times(most of the time people think I am just a bit weird but that I do not really have MH probs).But he will never admit it though and according to him he is this rational person.Funny thing is he took an AQ test once and scored higher than me.Defended himself later onwards though.He has aspects of other disorders as well.In the end if he views me as some kind of ''nutcase'' then thats just too bad.Its not my fault in the end.Shifting the blame does not help either.It took me awhile to realize that.I cant help it anyway,there are mental health issues in the family.And it does not make me a better/worse person.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well to let you know there are others out there I have bipolar as well. I don't have the massive mood swings or fast cycling but mine is more depressive. I do sink into those horrible depression states. My "manic" part is simply racing thoughts are where my mind won't calm down. But with the medication I'm on I don't have these overactive neurons causing me to worry or have racing thoughts and it also keeps my mood uplifted.

So I don't even notice any symptoms.

Mental issues have such a stigma that are unfair. Problems in the mind are as real as physical maladies such as cancer. But you can't "See it" therefore it isn't real so suck it up is the mentality.

If your dad has mental issues then understand that people are usually unwilling to accept certain aspects of themselves. Gay or transgender only being part of it.

While people here sometimes don't like medication I do believe in the scientific and biological aspect of it and when you do find the right medication it will work for you too. Speak to your psychiatrist. It is true some medications don't work for everyone. It does take time to find the right one.

Hope you feel better and stay strong.

14. Guess the thing that confused me all the time was that I am more depressive than manic/hypomanic(you would prob know the vocab)

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2014 at 06:21 AM ----------

Maybe I just have been analyzed too much and been told too much what is wrong with me instead of what is right with me.Maybe I am not bipolar even...it just seems to make the most sense...but I seem to contradict the symptoms of each diagnosis eventually.

15. Kasey-I do not want to go back to a Psychiatrist and stand firm in that decision .I will keep popping my meds which I get from the GP and see a Psychologist however.I have seen two Psychiatrists before and it was a huge mess....If I feel the need in the future then I will consider the option of seeing a Psychiatrist,however,most people (the GP included) seem to feel that it did more harm than good in my case. Everyone is different though,and I respect that.Just do not want a decision forced onto me that is ultimately mine to make.I hope that people will respect my decision. Thanx for all the comments,I,however,feel I have discussed this topic enough now.

16. Nicholas1991

I Suffer from Dysthymia. Its funny, ive lived with it so long that i dont know where i end and it begins.

17. Okay.People do not seem to know what label to give me.I personally think its technically something ending with NOS but I suppose NOS is not an option...however,I have given up on the search for a diagnosis...

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 10:10 AM ----------

Should have quoted.Sorry.I forgot a bit about dysthymia...Its a particular form of depression...I know that...but can not keep up with all the diagnostic labels hehe not a shrink after all

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 10:25 AM ----------

Antidepressant dosage is increased .Was on 15mg mirtazapine,went onto 22.5mg and will now go on 30mg . Antipsychotic (abilify) 5mg.Both in the evenings.Have a feeling this combo will do wonders.Can not function on more than 5mg of an antipsych,and then even the 5mg HAS to be taken in the evenings...Why I am typing this remains a mystery...although will most probably be interpreted in a certain way by a shrink.Basically will see if this combo works and if it does will hopefully be able to make a POSITIVE post.That's my little update.Now,however,I am pretty much sick and tired of this discussion,so that's the end of that.

18. Was doing so well at some stage and now dont know what the f**k is going on with me....

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2014 at 10:44 AM ----------

Scared....Dont want to go back to doctors...