1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I kissed a girl for the first time...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dryad, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...I really like her, I like it when we're together, hugging and kissing and talking :rolle: but when I'm alone I just can't seem to come in terms that I'm not straight. I think it's a phase, that I don't actually like girls and I'm afraid I'll hurt her. :eusa_doh:
    I thought everyone would be more supportive but, living in a small town, we're afraid to show any signs in public. We don't even hold hands, because she's afraid. Sometimes I just want to take her away. My friends and father are homophobic and while my mother is supportive, she treats my relationship like something odd, she always asks me about her and tries to act normal but there's always that awkward atmosphere... :confused:
    I used not to care but now I've seen some friends freaking out when they heard I kissed a girl, like they didn't believe me when I said I'm bi. A female friend worried I might hit on her and another immediately started worrying that he may be gay. It's annoying being excited and not being able to share your happiness because they will treat you either in an offensive or an awkward way.
    The thing is... it seems that society has a bigger problem with homosexual relationships than I thought, and that discourages me. And although I consider myself to be pretty open-minded, I have grown up in an environment where homosexuality is not really visible and because of that I can't actually incorporate the idea in my head. It's like I know "it's ok to be gay", in theory, but being gay myself sounds strange, like I "don't know how to do it" if that makes any sense. I have only known the "straight lifestyle" until now.
    I sound like a coward or a conservative, I know. :bang:
    Has anyone got similar experiences from their first relationship? :icon_redf

#1 Dryad, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out when I was very young, and aside from my girlfriend at the time I didn't know anyone else who was gay. I didn't really know how to girls were supposed to be in a relationship.

As far as the reactions from everyone else, they've most likely never seen a gay couple before so they are curious and kind of thrown off by it. The sooner you guys get used to the reactions of other people, the sooner they will realize that the two of you are in a relationship just like anyone else.

3. nicole1989

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I come from a very conservative background as well. During my first relationship, I convinced myself that I was straight with one exception (my ex). It's taking me awhile to come to terms with who I really am, but I'm getting there. It's a journey, but it feels so good to really understand who you are.

I only had a couple of friends to talk to but that made a big difference. At least you are here, and reaching out. Best of luck :slight_smile:

4. Dino14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For a long time I was very uncomfortable with the concept of being gay; I went through a phase of purposefully dating boys to try and convince myself I was straight, but alas, it only made it more affirmative.

I can't say about about first relationships, because none of my encounters with women have lead to a full term relationship, but before when I was figuring out my life (which I still am, of course) the physical aspect of the relationship was never something I dwelled about.

Even now, in my head, when I tell people that I am gay I can feel a war waging. One voice is saying, yes you are, these people will support you. The other saying, once you tell people, it means that you believe it yourself.

If you want to talk more, hit me a PM!

5. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only speak a little bit from personal experience, but I can relate to the whole "oh this is all a phase or a weird dream and I'll wake up soon" kind of feeling.

When I first started coming out to people I hardly knew, they'd ask if I had dated a girl. At the time, I hadn't. The combination of people telling me this and various other thoughts made me seriously doubt and question my sexuality. I'd been so sure of it, then all of the sudden I didn't know anymore. These doubts even lasted up until my first date with another girl. Even after we started dating, my friends didn't believe I wasn't straight, which didn't help.

I'll be honest, my first relationship with a girl really did help though. There had been multiple times where I'd doubted my attraction to girls as a whole, but then I'd be with my girlfriend and completely forget all doubts. We were each other's first kiss, and I regret nothing about it. I get butterflies thinking about it now, and can say "There's no way you're not bi if you feel like this almost a year later."

You just have to get the childhood image of your future out of your head. It took me a long time to tear down those expectations I had set up for myself. I had to take everything I'd envisioned and realize that those things might not happen, but something else equally wonderful could. For example, I always thought my first kiss was going to be with some handsome boy with sparkling teeth on a balcony somewhere, and it was going to be long and romantic. Instead, my first kiss was just a tiny peck on the lips, in the arms of a beautiful girl with curly hair and a smile that's to die for. And it is harder to do this with homosexual relationships as well. You don't expect the reactions people give you, and you have to adjust to them. I've held my girlfriend's hand, hugged her from behind, and sat with her arm around me and such in public, and we've only gotten a few weird looks here and there. If you carry yourself confidently, then people can't help but say nothing and just get over themselves.

I'm not entirely sure if this post will help in any way, shape, or form, but hopefully something from this rant will help you out. You're certainly not alone though.

6. YoungNBold

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will get to a point where you realize it's easier to be What comfortable to you instead of worrying about other people's opinion. My first girlfriend people were very wary and it had to be a secret from her dad. I truly believed that I loved her so I was willing to deal with all the societal nonsense. Eventually you will get used to it and so will others. When that happens the awkwardness will die down.

7. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, you all helped so much. ^^
    (Especially Eleanor... I can definitely relate to what you're saying...)
    Thanks. :slight_smile: