1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please read! Suicidal best friend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by girlonfire, Mar 21, 2014.

1. girlonfire

My best friend (straight--has nothing to do with LGBT, I just don't know where else to ask) has been depressed for a while now but basically denied it until today. She's been emotionally abused pretty much her entire life; her parents stopped buying her clothes when she was seven, she had to wear hand-me-downs from her neighbors (she's the oldest of two). Her sister is the obvious favorite, who doesn't really ever get shit (I say this from an objective perspective). Her mom is a control freak; she has to know everything going on, right down to if they don't make their beds in the morning they can't sleep in them, or having to ask before taking anything out of the fridge. It wasn't until this year that my friend could have a glass of milk without asking.

Her mom hates her, constantly yells at her about grades and how she's "not going to college" (she's Chinese, so basically anything that's not ivy league isn't good enough) and they forced her to take advanced math when she should be in regular because math just doesn't click with her, she's a visual learner and she can't remember all the formulas, so currently she's barely passing. Her dad constantly defends her mom, saying things like "it's how she was raised," "try to see it from her perspective," etc. Her mom will go on tirades about small things like her painting her nails (that was usually her escape; she's really good at it).

Recently, it's escalated far past what it used to be; tensions are higher, and yesterday she didn't even bother pretending everything was okay at school; just blamed it on tiredness and didn't talk to anyone up until 8th period when she had a free period with me. Even then she didn't really talk because as she put it, she was "just a shell. No emotions." I slept over at her house last night (we didn't have school today), went home with her after school, and after a night with me she got better, but today things got bad:

The more time she spent alone, the worse she felt. Her mom had yelled at her again, and when they left her mom told her to make rice at 5pm. 5:03, her parents get home (I was video Skyping with her to make sure she was okay) and see there's no rice, because she forgot; she's a teenager, people forget. Her mom yells at her, actually just used normal voice because her mom knows she can get to her just with normal pitch. She hasn't eaten dinner (now 11:17pm) because her family wouldn't let her eat with them, and she has to ask for food of course so she didn't want to do that, her parents left for an hour but she didn't go eat because she's not hungry anymore (!!!) and when they came back she was yelled at some more and the whole time she was thinking about how many pills there are in their house and how she could so easily just do it, that she wanted to, but she remembered about me and that she can't leave me (background info: I'm the only one that truly loves her, her family certainly doesn't). I'm forcing her to come with me to the school counselor on Tuesday, but I honestly don't know if she's going to make it through the weekend. Right now we're video Skyping again and she says she's going to sleep on the floor because her bed doesn't have sheets because her mom washed them this morning and she doesn't want to go downstairs and have to face them to get them.

We're currently talking about her running away like it's a viable option. Just kidding, because her mom is so concerned with social standing that she would do anything to get my friend back, probably call the police and file a missing persons report. Guess that's out.

Does anyone have any idea what we could do? Or even a good way to get her over here to my house for the rest of the weekend because she might not make it through over there?

Please, please help us. :frowning2:

2. TossAWatermelon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hmm... Could you frame having her over, as you and her discussing math and her future, because "I'm her friend, so she'll probably think it's cooler to get serious about math if I egg her on and offer her support"? I'm sorry that's so lame, but her mom doesn't sound like one of those people who goes "aw whatever I'll let my daughter go to a sleepover just for no reason!".

3. girlonfire

She's not, and I give her math help a lot. She goes to the math clinic every other day when she has 8th period free. It just doesn't work and she should be in regular math. What she needs is to get out of the house because her mom hates her and she's reached her breaking point. As she told me, she's "already sunk and slowly drowning."

4. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing her mum doesn't realise just how bad she makes her daughter feel. Maybe if she had an open, honest conversation with both of her parents it might hit home how psychologically damaging their behaviour is.
    She needs help. Talk to the school, they should be able to arrange for family counselling/therapy. Hopefully with some governing body overseeing things they will also back up their ideas.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your friend is suicidal it's really important that she seeks help and support now. She needs to be able to talk freely and openly about everything she is going through and how it's making her feel. She really needs someone who will give her time and space and will listen as she talks about all of those different 'strands' of distress that seem to be coming together so badly. That doesn't mean telling her what to do as she'll feel more empowered if she can arrive at her own decisions, but she does need help and support urgently.

Befrienders Worldwide | Emotional support to prevent suicide worldwide

I've recommended this website a few times on here as it's a good source of help/info for people who are suicidal, and people like you, with friends who are suicidal. Do take a look and mention it to your friend if it seems appropriate.

Also, take care of yourself. It's not easy when you see someone going through so much turmoil and it can be very worrying.

6. girlonfire

See, that's the problem; her mother knows exactly what's going on. Pretty much any time she starts on a tirade again, my friend breaks down, the tears start rolling. Three times now she's had panic related hyperventilation. What does her mother say? "She's faking it for attention."

There was one case last year that could be and was counted as physical abuse: my friend, which is getting annoying to type out so I'll call her N; so N isn't allowed to have her phone upstairs for odd reasons I don't really even know. She sneaks it up a lot because she uses it as her alarm to wake up for school. One day, her mom walked in, saw her with the phone, and of course told her to give it to her. N didn't want to, and I don't remember what she said to that, which her mom got even angrier to. So what happens? Her mother walks in, grabs N's hair and yanks, and I mean with enough force to pull it out of her head, making her drop the phone, and leaves. The next day at school, that was pretty much the first day she lost it at school: she went to the guidance office and ended up telling her guidance counselor about it who had to report it to Child Protective Services. Her mother was FURIOUS. She doesn't want to go to the counselor with me because she thinks this will happen again--actually, she thinks her parents will lose custody of her, and she'll be put in foster care. She says that would be unfair to her sister, who would also likely be taken even though none of it affects her, and she doesn't want to live in foster care for the two remaining years before college.

Also, here's something I forgot to mention: last night was a lecture about how she doesn't "respect them enough." They took her door. Off its hinges. Her bedroom now has no door. She doesn't even have that to escape them anymore.

One last thing: she said she doesn't think she's suicidal as much as she was just being very impulsive. Her exact words were: "I remembered that I can't leave you here by yourself."

So, in conclusion: having a conversation with her parents will do nothing. If anything happens with the CPS that doesn't involve N getting out, it will get worse for her. She's afraid she'll go into foster care and doesn't want to. In her words, she won't commit suicide because of me.

By the way, I'm the only person who knows about this outside of her family. Her parents don't know I know and went paranoid about me because they suspect I know.

EDIT: I'm talking to her again through Skype message now. She said: "I'm home alone and I'm scared and I haven't eaten in almost 24 hours and have no desire to" (she usually eats everything in sight, so this is a little frightening) and then she said "I took an allergy pill this morning and I accidentally poured a lot out but I scared myself"

#6 girlonfire, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  7. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem I find with victims is their fear of reprisal. They are frightened and therefore say nothing. Now I admit, foster care from what I've heard is no picnic, so I understand her concerns there, but this cannot continue. Could she not stay with extended family?

8. girlonfire

Half of her extended family is in China, the other half I have no idea where. I don't think there's any in Buffalo, and with two years left of high school I don't think anyone could convince her to transfer schools.

At this point the only time in the last 2-3 days that she's eaten is when I've forced her to. She's just not hungry. She's not anorexic, and I don't think she wants to starve herself, she's just not hungry. She refuses to speak to her parents unless necessary, and when she refused some cold pizza her dad brought to the basement (that's where she's been hiding out) that he offered multiple times, the only thing he muttered was, "someone's on a diet." (A diet? You haven't seen your daughter eat in 48 hours and you call it a fucking diet?) They are so ignorant I don't even understand how they could be human.

Please, guys, keep posting. I'm doing all I can but I'm just a 16 year old kid with a bike and a Skype account. I can't even get to her house until my dad brings our bikes up from the basement, which won't happen till the snow thaws.