1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Date

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by eofox, Mar 23, 2014.

1. eofox

So, in the next week or so I'll be having my first date since coming out. It is probably going to be a double date with one of my friends and her boyfriend (so it should be a little more comfortable since I know her and her boyfriend), as I have pretty bad anxiety when it comes to meeting people. Anyway, as far as the date goes we are probably going to go to my friend's house and play some board games, or something along those lines, and maybe cook a dessert of some kind.

The thing is I just don't know what to wear... or really *present* myself while on the date. Basically, what are the do's and don'ts on a first date, what are some good open-ended conversation starting questions, what to wear, etc...

Side note, I haven't actually met him yet. Basically the friend I was talking about is the one setting us up... So... ya. Is there anything, specifically, I should learn about him before the date? I appreciate any advice that you can give, thanks!

2. Will2M

Dress nicely but casually. Overkill outfits are kinda a turnoff on a first date because it seems like you are trying too hard. So a good pair of jeans and an untucked button down shirt?

Conversation starters? That is a hard one, I am not much of a talker so I can't really help you there. My only suggestion would be talk to your friend about the guy and learn as much as you can about him. Seriously learn as much as you can What is his favorite sport? Food? Etc. DON'T ASK HIM THESE QUESTIONS! Ask your friend these questions about him before the date and then bring them up in conversation. That isn't the specific answer you were looking for but it is the truth.

If you connect with him feel free to touch him, hug, hand holding, arm around, etc. It'll be forward yes but it will indicate how you feel and you will get a better understanding of how he feels towards you.

Here I am giving you all this advice and I have only been on two first dates myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I guess the most vague, but also best, advice I can give you is be yourself! It is stupid and cliche but so true. You want to present yourself as who you are, not put up a facade just to get the guy if you like him.

The date sounds perfect and if you like him it should be really fun. Good luck!