1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage: Where Do You Draw the Line?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IG88, Mar 23, 2014.

?

Where do you draw the line?

1. Man & woman (not related)

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Same sex couple (not related)

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. 2+ people

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Couple of step siblings

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Couple of half siblings

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Couple of siblings

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. Couple of any 2 family members

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Person & pet

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. IG88

As you know, marriage has traditionally been between a man and a woman (not related). Which option would you want to be the ideal goal of marriage equality? Where would you draw the line? And why if possible?

It's like the slippery slope argument. These are pretty much loaded options I guess, but I'm curious as to what most people agree upon. Oh, and this list isn't exhaustive, please add your own option if it's not here.

1. Man & woman (not related)
    2. Same sex couple (not related)
    3. 2+ people
    4. Couple of step siblings
    5. Couple of half siblings
    6. Couple of siblings
    7. Couple of any two family members
    8. Person & pet

2. Ravi-VIXX777

Same sex goes as far as id go.

Family-ew.
    Animals-even worse. Blegh
    Polygamy, sounds legit but I feel that it wouldn't work for me. I like having my man ALL. TO. MY. MYSELF. As well as there being an attention/jealousy issue. But if it works for others, I'm fine.

3. Yosia

I stop at sibling~ half sibling can be weird too but i think its okay if they really really love each other with a real reason~ step sibling is fine in my opinion with a real reason too ^.^

4. Gen

Gen

Although I cannot advocate for marriages between relatives from a psychological or genetic standpoint, I do not find it appropriate to regard those interested in that type of relationship as 'disgusting' and claim that they should not be able to marry on the sole grounds of my disgust.

I doubt that human/animal marriage will ever be legally or socially accepted, nor should it as a animal is incapable of giving consent.

5. Hexagon

I'd basically be in favour of any number of consenting adults. Nothing wrong with polyamory. Even those not interested in it must realise that they shouldn't forbid it for this reason.

Animals can't give consent, and it would be highly immoral to engage in any kind of sexual relationship with them.

As for family, whatever. Not my thing. But also not my problem. I'd advise against reproduction, though.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Step siblings only if they were both around 13+ when they first met. Otherwise it's no different from biological siblings, in my opinion.

7. apostrophied

I said same-sex couples. If polygamy were allowed, what would happen to government benefits for spouses? Or if a man married four women and divorced them all after having kids with each of them, he'd have to pay a childcare allowance to all four?! Idk, but I don't think that would work.

Lol, you forgot "humans + objects." Wasn't there a woman who "married" the Golden Gate bridge?? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fine with people marrying as long as both parties are consenting. I personally would never marry family, and I would hope that the would not have children of their own (because of genetic issues that could arise). So, I would draw the line at people marrying animals or objects.

9. justjade

I think step-siblings is where I'd draw the line. I mean, if you're not raised together as siblings, it's not like you're actually marrying your sibling. I don't think half-siblings or full siblings should be able to marry each other. That's just a little too far for me.

I'm also in favor of any number of consenting adults marrying each other.

10. Vince

And people should be able to marry any people. Like right now I'm in a poly relationship with a girl and she has a boyfriend. Everyone is on good terms but marriage has had to be reserved to whatever arrangement gets me the best health benefits because in sickly and can't work. It upsets me though because I want everyone to be happy with would mean my gf marrying each of us. The only thing I didn't like was animals... It seems wrong that an animal can be so easily raped and often their bodies are smaller than ours. Sounds painful. Incest has never ever bothered me. I don't know what's supposed to be gross about it? Sex between humans is all the same.

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing past polygamy. I can understand step especially of they become step siblings later in life, but it way to weird for me.

12. BelleFromHell

If it's step siblings that weren't raised with eachother very long, I'm OK with that.
    Saying that blood relatives should marry is asking for trouble, unless you expect them to not reproduce.

13. Saint Otaku

For reasons people have stated, I don't agree with extra-species relationships. In regards to humans, I believe it is psychologically unhealthy to have a relationship with someone one has "grown-up with", be they any flavor of sibling. In regards to ironically unaware of-being-siblings, I could lessen my views against incest, perhaps more for homosexual incestuous relationships than heterosexual, due to birth risks.

I believe our system of marriage is quite fundamentally flawed, so I've been looking up other cultures. The Mosuo people of China are pretty interesting with their walking marriages...

14. Zeta Male

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the government should just stay out of marriage altogether. It'd be a lot simpler that way. Also, where you got the idea that marriage has traditionally been between two non-relatives I have no idea. Incest has been around since ancient egypt. Not that I'd do it though. Ew.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing I couldn't have is kids i wouldn't wanna adopt or via surrogate bc I can babysit but I couldn't even imagine doing that full time. Also if I'm gonna get married this is what I want a macho guy but sweet at the same time. Someone who will make me feel better when I have a bad day. I want him to be muscular so I feel safe if homophobic people r around

16. Karabeara

I agree

17. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, I see nothing wrong with biological siblings marrying if they weren't raised together (eg adopted out to different families). If they're heterosexual there's a higher risk of genetic problems in their children, but I'm opposed to eugenics so I wouldn't say they should be prevented from having children if they want. And it's certainly possible for heterosexual couples to not have kids, or to adopt or use sperm donation.

Psychologically speaking, a sibling is someone raised by the same parents as you. Biological siblings raised apart don't have a sibling-type emotional bond.

18. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I put same sex, I'm not saying everything past that is disgusting or that I even disagree with it, I just wouldn't engage in it myself, I personally find it icky.
    As long as the couple is both of age, human and giving consent it's fine in my book.

19. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Absolutely only Same sex couple (not related)! The others no way! (at least in my opinion u.u).

20. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do not agree with a marriage between more that 2 people. I also do not agree with bestiality or marriage between parents and their kids, or between someone and their grandparents, aunts, or uncles. However even though I wouldn't do it myself or have any interest in it, I don't really care if siblings or cousins marry as long as they are both consenting and of age. I would just hope that if they are a blood related opposite-sex couple, that they do not birth children on their own due to the genetic problems the child would be born with. And obviously I agree with marriage between same-sex and opposite-sex couples.