1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister is gay as well?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Phoebsta, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Phoebsta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I looked at my sisters profile on Facebook and found out she is gay.
    I am also gay. But not out yet because I am only 13. She is 19. Obviously I now know I am
    Not going to get a homophobic response now which is great but I wonder would they think when I come out at 15/16 that I am just copying her? Because I am not and it might cause problems?

Thanks

2. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

People may think your just an copycat at first but you can easily prove them wrong just by calmly talking about your feelings and being yourself

3. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You could tell your sister now so that when you come out at 15/16 to everyone else if they say your copying or its a phase your sister can tell them that you came out to her years before.

4. Phoebsta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess I could do that but she might think I am too young to know. I might just ask her how old she was when she knew if she was 12 or something along those lines I might tell her because I am sure she would understand about not telling anyone. But then again if she didn't know until she was 16 then I might not come out for another year or two?

5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's true she might think you're too young to know, but she might not, as well. I think you should tell her. It won't do any harm, in any case.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a really good idea.

Ultimately, I would hope that she would remember what it was like to have people doubt her and she would take that into account.

Your biggest problem is the whole 'copycat' thing, but as has been expressed above, if you clearly state your feelings you should be able to get over it.