1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADD, coping, and getting parents to help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by newfish, Mar 24, 2014.

1. newfish

I'm pretty sure I have ADD/ADHD. I was wondering if other people that know about it would agree and if those that have it have any suggestions. And what in the list below could be attributed to ADD vs what is just my personality.

- I've always been really bad at organization and lost things all the time. It's been a big problem starting in maybe 7th grade.

- I don't remember being a particularly hyper child, especially when I first meet people, but now I definitely can be. Especially if I'm bored (math class especially. Last year, 2nd semester, I almost never paid attention and spent much of math talking)

- I have a REALLY bad tendency to procrastinate. I'm a sophomore, and since freshman year I have pulled 2 all-nighters to finish work - one because it was two final projects, and the other was late and I think it absolutely had to be handed in the next day. I just never seem to be able to get anything done, and sometimes I really hate myself for it. I tell myself to do something, know how important it is that I do, and then instead I choose not to. The past couple years it has gotten to be more of a problem.

- I zone out a lot. Sometimes while people are talking, sometimes in a lecture. Especially if I forget a notebook or something, but sometimes I'll be paying attention and then just realize that I missed an entire example problem.

- Very often I'll start to talk and then just forget what I was going to say, or I'll completely blank on a word I'm looking for.

- It feels like a lot of the time I say something quickly and it just comes out way more awkward or mean then it sounded while I was forming the sentence, like maybe I speak impulsively. I have plenty of friends, but sometimes I can be overly bitchy to people I don't like.

- My family tends to get in a lot of arguments, but that's not completely me. That's just how we are. I also used to argue in group projects, although I've learned to bite my tongue some more.

My mom has even mentioned a couple times that I probably have it, but always that it's a touch and seems to treat it as no big deal. But my grades are starting to slip and I feel like they're out of my control, or in my control but I don't have enough willpower to do anything about it. I'm advanced in classes for my age and, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I think I've been bright enough to handle it. It feels like as classes and everything else I'm juggling (theatre, recently science fair, etc.) it's getting harder and harder. Any advice would be much appreciated!