1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can two gay guys be best friends without it actually being/becoming romantic?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WhatLiesAhead, Mar 25, 2014.

1. WhatLiesAhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Got myself into a complicated situation and would love to hear some thoughts. Sorry this is going to probably get long winded knowing me...

About 3 months ago, I went out a few times with a guy I met online. The first few dates went really well. We have a ton in common, very easy conversation, kissed on the second date, flirty texts, etc. Then sorta out of nowhere, he friendzoned me after date 3. Said he just wasn't feeling it anymore and that he also didn't want to takes things further knowing that he wasn't looking for a serious relationship right now and I was (he's a few years younger than me). I was pretty bummed out but decided he was worth staying friends with. We kept in touch over text but it was about 3 or so weeks before we hung out again; I just needed some time. Then after that first time seeing each other again, we started to hang out fairly frequently over the next couple weeks. To me, things started to get kinda flirty and I was getting some mixed signals. I asked what was going on and he admitted he was confused and also thought maybe there was still something there worth exploring. So over the next few weeks we kept hanging out to see if, as he put it, something would grow organically. Always worried that if I pushed too much, too fast I would scare him off, I never made a move. After dancing around the subject for a few weeks, I finally just asked him where we stood. At this point we were seeing each other several times a week and texting plenty in between... it almost felt like we were dating but without the responsibilities and the sex... He tells me that despite clearly having a strong connection with me and having some feelings, it's more like that of a good friend, not in a romantic sense. Tough pill for me to swallow... but I decide once again, to remain friends. Combination of legitimately enjoying his company even as a friend a well as not being able to fully let go of the hope that something more is there and it will somehow develop if I give it more time.

So that was a few weeks ago. Since then once again we're spending a ton of time together. Out late on weekends, dinners sometimes during the week, lots of texting in between. The other evening we wandered aimlessly around the city for over 3 hours together, had dinner after... good convo the whole time. Tells me after how I somehow get him to just open up and talk so freely about things despite being an introverted person. Says after that he's so grateful I'm still in his life; that I'm quickly becoming one of his best friends.

So here's my dilemma. I still have very strong feelings for this guy. In my heart, I truly believe he has feelings for me too, but that he's just in a state of mind right now where he doesn't want a relationship and instead wants the freedom to play the field and have some fun. As much as I hate that, I get it - he's only 24. I really do enjoy the time we spend together; he gets me doing things I was never interested in before but have since come to love. Unquestionably a positive addition to my life aside from the constant pain of dealing with unrequited feelings. Most of my friends probably think I'm nuts at this point for letting this drag on and remaining friends with this guy. I guess this leads me to my question... has anyone here been in a situation like this before? I'm confused how he can consider me a best friend, meaning there's a more than normal friendship type connection there between us, but not be honestly interested in something more assuming there's also a physical attraction which I believe there is from when we were first dating. Isn't that basically the building blocks of a romantic relationship? I mean, I think about m best straight friends and basically the only impediment to it being something more is the lack of a mutual physical attraction (for obvious reasons). So it seems odd to me then that he could be attracted to me, have more than normal friend type feelings for me, but not truly want something more. Not sure how to handle the situation now. I guess just keep being his close friend, hanging out and enjoying out time together. While I'd love for this to take a fairytale ending with something more naturally developing over the next few months, I'm also a realist and know that probably won't happen. I really do want him in my life one way or the other, though knowing he's going on dates and probably hooking up with other guys in the background doesn't make it easy and honestly, I'm just not sure I can get over my feelings for him which makes me wonder if this friendship would be sustainable in its current form.

Sorry this got very long winded. Been pretty rough the last few months dealing with the disappointment of what seems like a very promising situation turning very unclear. I also feel pretty idiotic for even letting it get to this point. Most people I know would have ditched this guy back in January... but it's always easy for someone else to say that. What can I say, I really like this guy and I can't let go of the belief that he has feelings for me too. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate hearing them. TIA

2. Villo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is possible for two gay guys to be best friends without there being a romantic bound between them. I mean, straight people can be best friends with someone of the opposite gender without there being anything to it, and the same goes for homosexuals:slight_smile:

The 'issue' here (it's not an issue as such, but it is the best thing I can pull out of my english vocabulary, please forgive me :3 ), is that you have these romantic feelings for him, and he wants to keep it at friendly level. Very frustrating, no doubt, but perhaps he is unsure of what he actually wants?

I mean, you said; "I asked what was going on and he admitted he was confused and also thought maybe there was still something there worth exploring." Besides that you say he is guy who wants to have fun and is going on dates and probably hooking up with other guys - To me, that does not sound like someone who knows what he wants, and is therefore exploring his opportunities before making a decision.

I would say that he is in a phase where he is experimenting, so there might be a chance he will change his mind about his emotions towards you, but it is not something I can know for sure.

I hope you found my replay just a little helpful, and that you will get though this situations with good results ^.^ *Hugs*

3. Im Just Me

I would say sure. I am against the theory that since you're both attracted to the other's gender (whether it be same-sex friends or straight opposite sex friends) you can't be just friends.
    Plenty of straight people have several opposite-sex friends, and I personally have a lot of lesbian and bisexual female friends.

4. AKTodd

I have gay male friends who were only always friends and gay male friends where we had sex, decided we didn't really click and just kept on being friends.

I would suggest that the issue for you is not so much a matter of the abstract or general case of two gay men being friends, but rather that you still have feelings for this guy and he seems to be sending some mixed signals sometimes.

I would also suggest that , given his stated lack of interest in a relationship, that you turn some of your time and attention away from hanging out with him and back toward the business of finding someone who will want to have a relationship with you. Start moving on and you may find any feelings beyond friendship starting to fade. You may also meet someone else (similar to him or not) who you really like and who will want to be more than just a friend. At that point you would then have a good friend and a boyfriend, which would seem to be an overall positive.

My 2c worth,

Todd

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they can. We are not animals we don't jump on every guy who is gay or every guy who we think is hot.

However I remember trying to make friends with other gay guys and the response I get is no I am taken or I don't wanna have sex with you. Pretty pathetic but some straight guys probably do the same thing to women that wanna be friends with them too.

6. BelleFromHell

I guess they can, but I wouldn't know.
    My best friend is bi and I freaking ADORE her in every way. :love:

7. Yosia

I guess they can~

I used to be really best friends with someone who says hes bi but i think he is gay in denial, yeh we did have a romantic stage but it passed and then we were just best friends but now i hate him for a few reason >.<

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Villo. I have a number of gay friends that I'm very close to. We hang out and do things together, we share a lot of personal experiences with each other, and since we're all focused on self-improvement, there's a lot of openness with feelings and vulnerability. But our relationships are entirely nonsexual, never have been, never will be, and there isn't any sexual tension. I do think this may be somewhat uncommon -- particularly among younger gay guys -- than relationships that are sexual, but it's quite possible. Part of that is because there's clear communication and complete openness and honesty.

What's complicating things here is both of you are feeling things for each other and it sounds like your friend is struggling within himself as to what he wants and what to do about the conflicting feelings. That's a complicated place to be, and the best that both of you can do is to continue to talk openly about it.

The trick is navigating what to do. The one thing to be cautious about is crossing the line into a sexual relationship. Once you do that, even one time, it has a tendency to change the relationship, usually permanently. It won't necessarily destroy it, but the dynamic does become different. And it isn't necesssarily bad; I've seen guys who have gone from friends to in a relationship, and seen it work very well. The key is openness, discussion of the fears and the what-ifs and the insecurities, so both of you go in eyes-open. That isn't always the easiest to do, but if you go into that place, the vulnerability is totally worth it because then there's no confusion about what each of you are feeling and experiencing.

9. WhatLiesAhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I think Chip and a few others here hit the nail on the head... the bigger issue is the feelings I have for him combined with the mixed signals. The feelings are tough to deal with but I would like to keep him in my life one way or the other. So with that, I think I'm going to give it some time to see if maybe my feelings die down. His mixed signals though don't make it easy... keeps me thinking maybe there is still potentially going to be something more there. Not an easy situation :/

10. WhatLiesAhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had a conversation in person with him - says he just doesn't feel it romantically and also wouldn't want to screw up what we have by doing anything

Problem is I can't deny that part of why became so close is because I've been holding onto the hope of making it into a relationship. I still want to be friends with him, but I dont know if I can handle being this close but nothing more with someone I have such strong feelings for. No way would this amazing bond have formed were it not for my feelings keeping me so interested and willing/able to hang out with him so much. What I don't understand is how he isn't in the same boat. How is it possible for him to have this type of friendship with someone and it not also be built on some degree of romantic interest. We spend so much time together and have such a good connection... and do little things that just feel a little strange for truly 100% platonic friends to do.

This is going to sound silly, but I almost feel like I'm getting taken advantage of. He's almost always on ******, ******, etc... he's insanely cute so never has trouble finding someone to go out with. Never turns into anything meaningful though. Like he finds what he needs in the romance department from one person, then has me to fall back on for the emotional/meaningful stuff. I know it's not his intent and this is just my head twisting the facts, but hard not to think it.

Going to do my best to remain friends with him at this point. The friendship clearly means a lot to him and it does to me too. It's just hard to want to maintain it at its current level knowing there's no chance of it turning into something more.

#10 WhatLiesAhead, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  11. AAASAS

I think it's possible if both people don't romantically like eachother.

One of my best friends; who is a Girl. Is also best friend's with about 10 other guys. She is straight and is dating a guy. But she somehow get's along with guys a lot better than girls. The only one she hooked up with; my other best friend, is the only friend she has problems with and hardly talks to. The two of them both have problems with eachother sort of, and I think the romantic attraction made it hard for them to continue to be friends. She knew me and like three of her other guy friends when she was younger, so she really got attached to them before romance could get involved.

But the one guy she hooked up with, is also the one guy she became friends with in Highschool.

So yea, it's possible, there just has to be no attraction there.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the experiences I've had with the people I've been around in similar circumstances, I think you can make it work. It will take time, and it will be a little difficult at the outset, but if you focus on what the friendship means, and developing that friendship, I think you'll eventually get to a place where the sexual tension goes away and what you're left with is a wonderful and close emotionally intimate friendship where sexual intimacy never enters the picture. It might seem hard now, but i know a lot of people who have developed amazing friendships that started out as crushes.

13. WhatLiesAhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Chip. It's encouraging to hear that. I honestly don't know if my feelings will ever completely die, but if I can at least bury them most of the way, it should hopefully work. Like you said, there's a lot of good he brings to my life and I need to focus on that. It'd be sorely disappointing to lose everything we've developed the last few months. It should also help me to get back out there and looking for someone else... someone who wants to return my feelings and affection without me feeling like I have to work and compete for it.