1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staying Resilient

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Mar 26, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

So I think some of you read before that my Mum told my Dad I was gay and will victimize herself (I think I used that word correctly) and make pathetic excuses for her wanton actions until the end of time. Anyway, My Dad keeps giving me passive aggressive ultimatums like "Myles, please do not ruin your life" and "Myles, please, I am begging you, do not damage your relationship with me" and the totally blatant " I will not have an enemy in my own home." My Mum has said something like " Oh well you can come to an agreement to move out " coming across to me as if she agrees with what he's doing, which is absoloutely mind-blowing considering she grew up with gay people. But I digress. Anyway, how am I supposed to get through the next 2-4-6 years with my homophobic dad who pretends I'm straight, and my emotionally blackmailing, defensive mother who is a slave to his hatred?
    Sorry if it seems like I already made a post about this, I just really don't know what to do.

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh...
    This makes me so sad :frowning2:
    I'm really sorry about this...
    Are there any LGBT support groups in your area? If there are, go. Don't ask your parents' permission, just say you're out with friends...
    I really don't know what else you should do.... If my parents were like that, I would hand it to them, I'd get mad and tell them there being small minded idiots and that there is nothing wrong with me... But I understand wen you're 14 telling them that could possibly get you kicked out or killed...

Please don't give up though.

3. ZenMusic

He'd threatened to kill me before if I ever said I was gay again.

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please seek some support, then. Is there any group you can go to like I mentioned?

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry your parents are completely bullshitting u (*hug*) I think u should get a good bf yep mmm hmm do that and then move in with him and ya see where it goes from there good luck on your journey we will all be here to support u every single fall along the way amd try to make every single day a little bit better. :thumbsup: :kiss: (*hug*) :slight_smile:

#5 Andrew99, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a situation where you likely need to involve Child Protective Services, because your parents are both clearly being emotionally abusive. I would speak to your guidance counselor or school social worker and they will be able to help get CPS involved. (Or, perhaps, call your parents in and make it clear that CPS will be called if they don't straighten up their act.)

You deserve to live in a healthy, safe, supportive home. You should not put up with anything less. If you don't get the help you need from your school, you can also contact one of the advisor team here and we can help in that process.

7. Sasha Braus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't really know your family dynamic but I would say your dad is in denial. I mean, considering your age I suppose they think they can control every aspect of your life, including your sexuality, and since you're not exactly in a position to do anything about it then it settles that. They're wrong. I mean, you don't have to flaunt it in your parents' faces, but don't pretend to be what you're not. Do you really think your dad would actually hurt you? If so, get out of there. If it's all hot air, then I would probably stick it out until I'm legally an adult. So, three/four years. Sounds horrid, but just... trust me. It's frustratingly hard to be independent when the law sees you as a kid. If your parents let you move out when you're 17 and you really can't bear it, I would go.
    I mean, I'm 18 and have absolutely no plans of coming out to my family... ever. Doesn't really need to be said, I think, and I'm not a family person. Never have been, save for one cousin a year younger and the babies constantly being popped out.. I digress, sorry. My point is that this is advice coming from someone who doesn't really care about family ties, so it might not be what you need... I don't know. Hope this at least gave you a different perspective.

Side note: Never, ever, EVER get into a relationship as a way to stick it to someone, create a "safety net"or anything besides, I dunno... wanting to be in a relationship with someone. It's unfair, unnecessarily complicated and just spells trouble. Just look for a gay friendly roommate when you're ready to move out.

8. ZenMusic

Everything is OK for the moment, but he said to stop mentioning it to me, and when I'm older he'll know I know what I'm talking about and get 10 times worse.