1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I inadvertently discovered my classmates' opinion on gays

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vandslaux, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Vandslaux

They were making fun of someone who was taking spanish 2 next year, mainly basing it around having a gay (they emphasized this) student aid in the class. After finding out their opinion, I really wanted to cry, but I didn't, because I knew that would out me as gay. I have no idea who I can trust anymore.

2. gayboy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you can trust the student aid , since your both gay , talk to him if you feel like you can trust him

3. igoloo2946

I have been in a couple of situations at school where people have made fun of some of the homosexuals at our school right in front of me, it is a difficult situation to be in because not only do those words hurt but they make me very vulnerable to want to come out in the heat of the moment.
    The only people I trust are my closest friends. Do not let homophobic assholes scare you away from being who you are. There are people who will always accept you for who you are.

4. Kenaria

Once I went to a weekend church event and I overheard a few really good friends of mine talking about how gays were wrong and stupid and they were going to rot in hell (so... the usual.) and it really bit at me for a while. I didn't let it get to me though, and just pushed them out of my life :slight_smile:

5. Zeta Male

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just remember, their opinions mean nothing because... well, what the fuck do they know? They're a bunch of homophobic, bigoted, and probably insecure dickheads. The opinions of people like them mean nothing to me, and they shouldn't mean anything to you either. You're better than them.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes people make fun of gays just because it's a common thing to do... and they actually have no problem with them at all. So it doesn't necessarily mean they hate gays, they might just be conforming to social bullcrap...

Anyway, you can try and talk to the student aid, or any accepting people you know. Don't be scared to defend gays if they talk any shit about LGBT people. Defending LGBTs doesn't mean you're gay, and just tell them they're stupid to say that if they do.

7. TossAWatermelon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just tell the principal that a group of students were making fun of the student aid (be sure to ask to be an "anonymous source") and hopefully that will put homophobes in their place.

8. thrnvlpidj

Your classmates can't ALL be stupid. You'll find someone to trust.

9. Theron

Then find some real friends. o.o

I went to a wedding with my fiance for one of his female friends from childhood. She used to have the hugest crush on him but he's known since he was 12 that he was gay and never returned her affections. Still, at the wedding, she said as part of her toast, "I want to welcome my best friend and the man who turned him gay!"

My fiance was LIVID. I had to drag him out of the hall and calm him down and convince him to let it go. Straight people can say really dumb, hurtful things without thinking about who they might be hurting.

10. Silver Sparrow

I'm so sorry that happened. Is there a GSA at your school that you can go to?