1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Swriter, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Swriter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi there everyone,
    I am looking for assistance from all the lovely people who would like to help me. Please read the full post before deciding.

I am in the process of writing a fictional story about a lesbian girl and her life. The idea is that if I can get even one homophobic idiot to read it, realise the harm they could be doing and change there ways then its a win.
    The problem I have is that I am straight, so I don't know the ins and outs of everything only what I have heard or read and that is why I'm looking for help from the people who count.

What I'm looking for is any stories from you life that might give me inspiration for something in my book or even just anything you think should be in a book like this. I don't care what point in your life it was from whether you were 5 or 50 :slight_smile:. Also I'm looking for both good and bad stories. I not looking to steal your life and put it into a book, I'm writing a work of fiction, I will not just copy what you wrote, I am just looking for inspiration.

Feel free to comment on this thread or PM me. And thank you in advance for anybody willing to help.

(If you frequent other similar forums you may see my message there as well, I may post in a few s not sure what kind of response to expect)

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a few questions:

1. What exactly is this book about? - I know you said 'a lesbian girl and her life' but realistically for the most part that's going to be pretty similar to YOUR life as a straight girl. Obviously SOME aspects of the whole relationship process is going to be A LITTLE BIT different and there is some negativity thrown in, but otherwise MOST of our lives will be similar...so with that in mind...

2. What KIND of stories are you looking for? - Again, you said 'both good and bad' but regarding what exactly?

3. How much emphasis are you planning on putting on the differences in this book? - Don't have a problem with it necessarily, just curious.

:slight_smile:

Food for thought: If you intend to crowd-source ideas and then blend them into your own words, perhaps you could consider writing something that sounds write to YOU and letting us read it and tell you our thoughts on it.

Perhaps write a short piece of 'good story' and another short piece of 'bad story' without external input based on how you THINK life is at the moment.

I suggest this because either way you are going to be spinning our words through your own mind and they will come out in a way that makes sense to you. It would be nice to see what that looks like with the information you currently have :slight_smile:

3. Swriter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey,

Thanks for responding with some good points.
    Please don't get me wrong, I'm not some ignorant idiot who thinks that because you're gay that means we are as different as chalk and cheese and you couldn't possible live a similar life to mine :slight_smile:
    I understand that mostly our lives don't differ so much but those bits I can manage for myself and don't plan on it being a story about differences in our lives. What I'm looking for is anything you think that I might realise is different.
    With regards to the "stories good or bad I mentioned", I'm looking for examples of rejection or acceptance, anything where you sexuality was a factor in something it shouldn't have been. Something particular that stopped you coming out or gave you the confidence to do so. Anything like that or anything else you can think of.

This is my first attempt at a book so I don't have huge confidence in showing off my writing, but if I come up with anything that I'd like opinions on, just to make sure it isn't completely stupid I'll be sure to seek out advice here :slight_smile: