1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Need a public response to being outed.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Bradley97, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Bradley97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in sixth form and I've just been outed by a few trusted friends and now the entire college is talking about me being gay, some just gossiping and others in a very negative way. It feels really awful at the moment but I want some good to come from this.

I need a public message which I will be posting on Facebook to clarify and send a clear message to everyone about everything and improve people's attitudes towards gay people.

PLEASE any ideas you have would be appreciated!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need a public message which I will be posting on Facebook to clarify and send a clear message to everyone about everything and improve people's attitudes towards gay people.

If such a thing existed, we would be living in a very peculiar world indeed.

Honestly, you can make a status saying that the rumours are true and you're not ashamed of it, but it takes more than a facebook message to change minds.

3. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Bradley

It seems to me though you feel more hurt more over the "gossiping" etc than the fact you've been outed if I'm not mistaken. Not a bad thing I guess, just seems like a very unfair thing for your friends to have done.

Either way what's done is done I suppose, but for your main issue. It's hard to solve really. Not everyone one in the school is going to support and salute you for being gay, as awesome as that would be!

If this happened recently, as someone who finished Sixth Form a couple years ago, I promise you it will get better and not be the subject everyone is talking about. I remember a (straight) relationship between two people at school which was literally the whole school's talking point because the girl was several years older than the boy and she was being called just awful names etc, quite bad for both of them. For me, hearing about it over and over just seemed a little boring so it felt like ages for it to grow old because it just didn't bother me whatsoever and if they're happy, so what? But eventually I think everyone just got over it and it wasn't a big deal after a while.

As a result, I don't think you really need to make a facebook post. Those who matter to you will ask and those who should matter will accept and support when you explain about it.
    I'll mention, that although mostly my own doing. Since finishing sixth form, I'm still in touch with only one or two people from Sixth Form. It's not the end of the world if you're not discussed among the school for the best reasons ever. Just focus on the people you like to be around, and a bit of school work might help too haha :roflmao: :sleep:

Feel free to give me a msg if you wanna talk about anything, I've been through sixth form etc, so if you think I can help somehow just ask :slight_smile:

Good luck!

4. Jim1454

Sorry to hear that you're worried about this. Not the way you wanted to come out I guess.

But the best way to get a positive reaction from people is to be positive about it yourself. So whether or not you make a 'statement' on facebook or not, be sure to be cool about it. Don't let it bother you - at least don't let it appear to bother you. Be positive and casual - like it isn't a big deal. And others will see that it isn't a big deal for you, and it's about you! so it shouldn't be a big deal to them either.

Good luck!

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Bradley

Have you heard of the Stonewall LGBT charity? They have a great website and run some high profile campaigns, one of which has the slogan "Some people are gay - get over it!" Can't think of a better response in your situation.

Homepage | Stonewall Youth

Take a look at the website as there is lots of useful info and you can link it through Facebook.

Sorry you've had to go through this.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think ... don't show them that you are rattled by it... because that's just what they want.

put on an invisible suit of armour!!

friends, eh??