1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by theMaverick, Mar 28, 2014.

1. theMaverick

After a big debate on Facebook about LGBTQ rights and Christianity today, it got me thinking. I want to help in whatever way I can to advance the cause of LGBTQ rights and freedoms. I don't mean like "Oh, I'm gonna give $5 to the Human Rights Campaign, look at the difference I made,". I mean I want to on the ground help and be involved with the LGBTQ community. In my city. How can I do this? Should I look around for organizations to volunteer with?

2. Nick07

You can contact the local lgbt center, or explore the possibilities how to start one. You can try to improve the attitude at your work or school. Start a support website, join a helpline crew, build a supportive caffeteria in your town, open a shop, get involved in the next Parade as a staff.
    It depends on your area and your possibilities.

3. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nick07's advice is good. And yes, volunteering for organizations is a good thing to do.

4. Lilli

Lilli Guest

I'd say take a public stand. Not in an obnoxious in-your-face way but be outspoken and let people know where you stand when the subject comes up. The single biggest thing you can do is show that yes indeed people DO support LGBT rights and its a good thing.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going to LGBT centre is always good. You could also volunteer to help at the next pride event. You don't have to march in a parade or anything. Even, if you help just run a stall or with general organising. Every bit helps.
    I also think it can be good to diseminate info or stories you come across to ad many people as you can find to just help raise awareness.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. theMaverick

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna look around and see what I can find!

7. Yay!Its so cool that you want to do this!

Keep us updated