1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The idea of dressing nice????

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wolf123, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find myself to be one of the people who like to remain private. I rarely like to be noticed in crowds....don't care for a lot of attention. The thing that troubles me is I get annoyed when people say something about how I dress. Does the way you dress show how you feel about yourself etc? At this point in my life, I wear just random clothing-sweats, t-shirt, jeans on a given day. A couple days ago the topic of how I dressed came into conversation. This one person said that I don't want to be noticed by others therefore I wear hats, sweats, heavy jacket etc. In a way it is true, but how can someone pick up on that? I will use the occasional line that I like to dress comfortable which is true, but in reality I don't want to be noticed. I feel if people do start noticing me then they will know I am out of the closet, will try to form a relationship with me which I am scared of, and possibly get the occasional "hitting on me" which I am not comfortable with-not like anyone would, but who knows. I just feel a part of me wants to dress nice, but another part wants to stay in hiding as I like to call it. I have tried dressing nice in the past and all I get is all this attention. It sounds crazy to be scared of attention, but I am rather sensitive especially when someone may like me. I feel if I do dress nicely then my cover will be blown. I could be thinking irrationally, but who knows.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I feel you! Sometimes I just want nobody to notice me or even talk to me. I also wear just casual things but because they're comfortable.:slight_smile:
    Just be the the way you are. There's nothing wrong about it. If you want to change it then change it. But if not then don't. It's only your decision!:slight_smile: And apart from that the way of dressing is not always the important thing. It's the person, the character and so on:grin:

3. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know just how you feel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have sort of the same problem. I dress in random casual clothes too, but if I ever dress nicely for anything, people comment on it, and for some reason I don't like that. I don't like being singled out for looking a certain way. Especially when my mother says something like "oh that's nice, now you look like a pretty girl!" It makes me feel awkward when people tell me things like that. I prefer not being noticed, in general. I wouldn't mind dressing nicely if people didn't say things about it, even though they're compliments. It just makes me feel strange.

Some people definitely do express themselves and their personality through clothes, but not everyone does. And I think the people who do sort of think that everyone does so they don't really understand.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use to dress so I wouldn't be noticed l was even unpopular because of it. I really didn't want anything to do with the opposite sex. Now I dress the way l want and how I feel get compliments but l still hate the attention

5. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your responses. I got some new clothes a few weeks ago, but still find myself wanting to just wear my other clothes even though I am a jean and a shirt kind of girl. I think a part of me would like to dress nice meaning nicer jeans and a nicer shirt, but yes its the "Oh my gah you look so nice today" I don't like the attention. I also am scared of people finding me attractive which is in the same area as noticing me.

I feel I cannot win because when I do dress nice people notice me, yet when I dress in whatever I want they analyze my clothes lol. I agree with them saying I do hide in my clothes, but my gah....I don't know :frowning2:

6. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This used to be me, until I started dressing nice almost every single day. I never wear sweatpants or yoga pants, and generally try to have a cool outfit. It's hard to get over everyone flipping out over your clothes, but if you change your style and keep up with it, people will learn to stop caring. If they try to over-analyze, you could respond with "It's just clothes" or something similar.

Sorry that I can't give much in terms of advice. I mostly dress up so that people will focus on my cute clothes rather than my gender confusion and depression. Gloomy, I know, but I am working on changing my wardrobe a little bit. I want to add a little bit more masculine stuff to it. Hopefully nobody says anything, otherwise I might die of embarrassment. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Silver Sparrow

For me, when I dress nicer I feel better. Sort of, "I've put this much effort into myself, and I can match that with my work". There have actually been studies shown that people wearing lab coats do better on tests.

8. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am so proud of myself. I dressed in nicer clothes. Sounds ridiculous, but I did feel better. I was at school and no one said anything which was good. I think I am just nervous when I am around the ones who will make a big deal even when they compliment me. Luckily, I am in college so I don't know many people, but the ones I do know didn't even mention it which I loved.