1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scary Sounds :(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Plushieluver, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Hopefully this is in the right location... I'm really sorry if it isn't...

Okay, these have been going on for a good while now. I remember I used to get them when I couldn't get to sleep ages ago and ever since, even if I'm not tired or if I'm just staying up, from, like past midnight all I can hear are these really scary low-pitched, like droning sounds... They come and go and can last for 30 seconds to two minutes sometimes to only come back a few mins later to 10-15-20-30-40 mins later on. It's really scary and it seems that only I can hear them... (Here's another one and I've had two that have came in just this space of me writing this.)

What do they sound like? Well, ya know when a plane or a helicopter is EXTREMELY close to your house? Well, it sounds just like that but it starts soft, and then amplifies to a very irritating volume and then dies down. (another one) I can only hear them and they only happen above my room, it seems to be, which is even creepier... It is really scary because this has been happening for ages now, on and off and it just doesn't make sense!

More info: I have Googled this and it seems that I'm not the only one hearing them, thank goodness but people have been experiencing the same sounds and they're so loud that you just can't get to sleep. Hence why I'm here now, typing at 2 am :/ They've been going on for 2 hours now and they're driving me crazy...

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea what is going on. Maybe you hear electrical noises or mechanical things?

A furnace perhaps? Do you live in a city?

Do you hear voices?

Give me more information about your location.

3. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Hiya, thanks for the response :slight_smile:

I dunno. Nope, it's not the boiler, for sure. Nope, I live in a rural-ish area, a town to be more exact. Nope, I didn't hear any voices. Location? Well, close to the motorway, the Seven Bridge, probably only a mile away from the sea and we're also right next to a railway track and one that goes underneath us. So, yeah. I live in a part of Monmouthsire in Wales, UK.

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it's the Bunyip coming to get you. :slight_smile:

Happy days :slight_smile:

5. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

It may be a form of Tinnitus that effects the lower end of the sound spectrum. Tinnitus, although usually causing a high pitched ringing sound, has been known to effect some people by having a sub-bass pitch. Tinnitus can effect people in spurts as you're describing, or it can be constant and you only hear it in your room when it's quiet.

That's only one theory I have thought of :grin: I live in a rural-ish area with a major trucking route right near my house, is it possible it is a truck going over a rumble strip. As I hear that pretty often when I'm trying to go to bed.

Also, you may want to check if you live near an airport of sorts, or if your house if under a commonly used flight path.

If none of those seem viable to you, it may jut be your brain fooling you as the brain is very strange!

Hopefully it will stop occurring soon for you! ^^

6. Kat 5

You may have a suitcase full of Tinnitus.

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2014 at 09:34 AM ----------

Or it is one of those vacuum bag food saver things. Someone is packaging weed above you.

7. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Thanks, guys. Hmm, well, I have never had any problems with my hearing, and it's been happening for a while... I think I'm just extremely messed up in the head because when I was in my old house (as I moved almost 2 years ago now), I could hear huanted clock bells, it was so creepy...

However, many of my friends have said that they hear them too and they have never had problems with their hearing, it could just be something that a small minority of people can hear.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, scientist here again.

Human perception of sound generally is from 20 to 20000 hz range. You may be hearing sounds that fall outside of the average persons hearing range. I know I can hear those super loud annoying high pitch sounds of electronics, it used to bother me walking by this one server room back at my old school.

I'm not sure if that's it, but it might explains why some of your friends can hear it and some can't.

9. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, that sounds right. Hmm, yeah, I actually get that too. I remember hearing extremely high pitched sounds coming from a computer, and no one could hear them. I hear the extremely high pitched sounds from disk drives, as well, so I think that could be so. However, the sounds do appear low pitched but could they really be that low pitched?

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go to the doctor and have your hearing checked. That could also be a sign of major fluid build up that requires medical treatment.

11. anonym

anonym Guest

IMO it sounds like tinnitus. I get noises in one of my ears at times kind of like a wooshing sound as though someone is breathing in my ear. It's definitely in my ear. I think mine could be caused by high blood pressure - not surprising the amount of stress I'm under :-( I think you should get it checked at the doctors just to make sure it's not caused by anything serious if it is tinnitus.

12. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I will do but I doubt it's anything serious. I have heightened senses, anyhow. It's common in AS people. I doubt so because they never hurt, or anything. I don't get ear ache.

I really don't think so, I just have heightened senses. No, not like that, just mechanical sounds if I'm near anything that makes the extremely high pitched sounds but thanks for the help :slight_smile: It's definitely not caused by high blood pressure. I have very low blood pressure, the kind that makes you feel really weak and it's hard to do physical activity with because you can black out... I've never blacked out but I do experience seeing phones a lot, which are those weird lights you see in your eyes when you close them really tight. I definitely will get it checked, though :slight_smile:

Now, I need to say something... Now, I hear these low pitched sounds all the time, throughout the day. They never leave anymore, and I think I've pinpointed the sound. They are underneath the ground but this sound's different, as it stays at the same volume, just droning along, so it's probably a new phenomena :/

13. anonym

anonym Guest

Glad to hear (no pun intended) your getting it checked out :thumbsup: