1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Being Blackmailed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mr Bubbles, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Mr Bubbles

So here's the situation along with a little background info: I play video games competitively (so I travel to events, compete for cash prizes, etc) and I recently broke away from one of my teammates (now ex-teammate) because of how he has been acting. For 9 months now, I have dealt with him yelling, screaming, and cursing at myself and the other teammates for 3-5 hours a day. This may not seem that bad to some of you, but just try to imagine for months on end being told that you're worthless and being yelled at. It is beyond exhausting and depressing. We confronted him multiple times about it and tried to get him to change but he wouldn't do it. Also, at every turn he has manipulated us, our organization leader, and anyone else that he can get something from. As soon as he no longer needs people, he starts talking trash and attacks them. Up to this point I have been extremely tactful (aka I sugarcoated anything I said about him) with my messages concerning him including youtube videos, tweets, and skype messages. Now, today, he goaded me yet again, this time he took it too far. I have held my tongue for 9 months. Today I snapped. I let loose. He talked so much trash about us that I couldn't deal with it anymore. I responded to him via twitlonger (he had made a youtube video) and a mini war broke out between us (Even though I went all out in the tweet it was still clean and without foul language). Now, he is threatening to reveal to everyone that I'm gay (most of my friends and my brother don't know, and under order from my mom my brother is not allowed to know... also being gay in competitive gaming usually doesn't work out that well), attack me relentlessly on his media outlets, and try to turn everyone against me unless I formally, publicly, apologize to him, tell everyone that I suck and he's great, remove my twitlonger message, never say anything bad about him again, let him say anything he wants about me without responding, promote his media outlets, and help him in future situations. And yes, he does have proof that I'm gay, and he could use some personal messages I sent him against me. I do have some dirt on him, but not enough too keep him from going forward with his threat. I don't know what to do now... I know it's not the worst black mail in the world, but it would ruin me. I have a lot of fans and followers, and they would no longer trust me. My competitive career would probably be over. Right now I'm trying to negotiate with him. He said we will continue this tomorrow. I understand that this situation is kind of my fault, I did exactly what he wanted by attacking him. Unfortunately I have realized my mistake too late. Any advice on this situation would be appreciated. :help:

2. Etak

The only real solution I can see is to report him, and if that doesn't work, come out on your own so that he has nothing to use against you. I hope someone gives you a better answer. Good luck!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " I have a lot of fans and followers, and they would no longer trust me. My competitive career would probably be over."

Why?

4. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Well, I don't foresee any legal remedy should he decide to take action and proceed with his blackmail.

That said, however, if you intend to participate in a community and profession (competitive gaming) that shuns and condemns homosexuals, is it really a community you want to give your life to? :\

At any rate, if your concern for secrecy is as legitimate as you feel it is, then I suggest you tactfully (mercifully, desperately, hopefully) negotiate and, ultimately, concede to his demands. Assuming the facts are as you say them.

5. revi

revi Guest

I also ask why they would no longer trust you. Honestly if you were to reveal it before he could to your fans I think they would trust you a lot more than previously. (I know I would) Anyway, if you don't want him to that severely notify the police of blackmail, of course he might get to divulge it before they could get to him but I'm sure there are various huge repercussions he would have from doing such a thing.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could always release a video saying he's blackmailing you. Personally I'd tell them what with, but you don't have to.

At least then everyone will know what he's up to. If they don't trust you because you're gay they ain't going to trust HIM for blackmail...nobody wants to be around that kind of person.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THIS x 1000.

Authenticity is always the best route. Even if people don't particularly like gay people, if you step into authenticity, say this is hard for you to own, but you're doing it because you'd otherwise be blackmailed... I'm sure that you'll end up looking great, and the other guy will look like complete crap.

Additionally, there's no guarantee if you do everything he says that he won't, later on, find something additional you need to do. Blackmailers rarely stop with their first set of demands, and if you give in, you can just resign yourself to a constant stream of ever-increasing demands.

8. Mr Bubbles

The reason my fans would no longer trust me is that they would feel like they were lied to. I would have to retract my previous statements and contradict them. I would then have to take whatever this ex-teammate dishes out and not say anything. My fans would not understand because I would be unable to tell them why. Also, some would be upset that I withheld the fact that I'm gay from them. This would destroy any support (from fans, from sponsors, and organizations) that I could receive due to the bad rep and my competitive career would therefore most likely end.

Also, it's not so much that the competitive gaming community shuns gays, it's more like they don't feel comfortable around them and therefore avoid them. (I guess that's kind of shunning them :/) Perhaps some could overcome this. It is strange though, how I fell in love with something that tends to be somewhat harsh towards gay people. Competitive gaming means so much to me... it's not just a hobby for me, and contrary to popular belief, it takes a lot of work and dedication.

I don't know, hopefully I will be able to negotiate with this ex-teammate tomorrow and come to a somewhat peaceful solution. I just feel like such an idiot for getting in this mess in the first place.

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2014 at 11:20 PM ----------

@Chip and @ElliaOtaku thank you for your advice, I will probably go that route if some sort of reasonable agreement can't be met tomorrow.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recall it saying anywhere that you HAVE to reveal your sexual orientation just because you have fans.

Give these people a chance to fuck up before you write them all off. If some of them feel you 'lied' to them, to hell with them.

All you need to do is be honest.

"My friends, a lot of you may know that USERNAME and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. You may also have seen a tweet I made calling him out on 9 months worth of bullshit that I am tired of. Not just me, plenty others.

Well here's the thing guys. USERNAME has decided to blackmail me. Apparently he thinks so little of you people out there that he believes if he lets this loose on the world you will instantly hate me. Personally I would like to believe you guys are better than that.

Turns out I'm gay.

I would like to think that most of you watching this video aren't bothered by this news. Obviously I'm worried about some of the reactions I might get from people, but I hope that I can expect decent reactions from you guys.

For some reason, USERNAME thinks that I should be ashamed of this part of me. For some reason USERNAME thinks that you guys out there are so small minded that learning about my sexuality will cause you to all run off to someone else. Maybe you will, I don't know, but I would like to think you guys are bigger than that.

I just want to end this with a message to USERNAME. Dude, being gay is perfectly fine. Trying to blackmail someone who is supposed to be your friend, is not.

Thanks for watching guys"

There. video. Done.

The thing is if competitive gaming means that much to you, you'll go for it. You'll stick at it when it gets difficult, and if coming out makes it difficult you'll keep going.

Take the power from your former friends hands and use it to put the final nail in his coffin. If you're going down anyway you may as well take him with you. The difference is, you have the higher chance of coming back from it.

I'm not kidding when I say that NOBODY wants to team up with someone who is known for blackmail. NOBODY.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, why negotiate with a blackmailer? You're basically just asking to be continually blackmailed.

People will forgive you for not being truthful about your sexual orientation. Most everybody knows someone who claimed to be straight and vehemently denied being gay before they came out, and everyone understands. You have the potential here to take control of the situation, stand up and be appreciated for your authenticity, and make the other guy look like a piece of crap. I know you feel like it's risky, but I don't think it really is.

Also... the poeple who are "uncomfortable around gay people"... well, they're comfortable around you, and you're gay, right? So the only difference is that they know. I suspect you'll change a bunch of opinions if you come out :slight_smile:

11. Straw_berry

Negotiating with a blackmailer is like trying to tell a troll to stop trolling, it's best just to take away their ability to blackmail you Nyu~ I had a friend similar to the one you described back in grade school, I hope it all works out though Nyu~

And I agree with Chip, your fans will forgive you especially if they're truly your fans, you shouldn't have to change who you are just for a few people Nyu~

12. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic

I agree with the idea from ElliaOtaku. This could even make you bigger. There are gay gamers out there, you could become inspiration for them. Even if your fanbase becomes smaller, it would become stronger, because those who remain will be people that dont care that you are gay, and many that will see the courage it took you to reveal this about you... Most people are perfectly capable of understanding when a gay guy pretends to be straight, that is not a big deal.

Dnt negotiate with a blackmailer. It will become worst on the long road. And worst for others, once he succesfully blackmails you, he will become more likely to blackmail others.

This idea might seem risky but is actually a big opportunity for you

:goodluck:

13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think Ellia's suggestion about what to say is absolutely perfect. In fact, I think it will get you *more* followers... and I think karma will find it's way to your blackmailer. :slight_smile:

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do concur that the option to just come out as if it's no big deal (because it isn't) and trusting friends, fans, and sponsors to be mature about it is the optimal best solution.

If you're going to talk with this guy before doing that, however, how about this: You don't negotiate about a set of conditions that essentially boil down to "You're my bitch, forever".

Instead, you offer an outstretched hand. You recognise that things have gotten out of hand, and that you will just ignore each other from now on and focus on your careers, instead of petty wars. Henceforth you shall live in separate universes, and the only interaction will be by battling each other's teams in-game.
    About the farthest you can go is removing your mutual aggression from twitlonger or other online venues and making a statement that this pointless war has gone on far enough and you'd rather focus on the gaming.

That should be your first, last, and final offer. If he takes it, good! If he takes it and breaks it with immature comments like he's done before, then he can get a dignified silence and if people ask why you don't react, you just reply with "I really don't have the time to fight pointless online shouting matches. I'd rather show my mettle on the virtual field of battle" and leave him to look shrill and petty in comparison.

If he does go forth with the blackmail (and it's unlikely he will. Blackmailers are generally control freaks, and unleashing your secret would also deprive him of the one tool in his arsenal), then it's time for a simple and dignified statement in the vein of what EllliaOtaku suggests (preferably with full and vocal support from your current team).

That's my 2 cents, at least. In any case: good luck. But I do believe that, however bleak it looks now, you really won't suffer for it in the long term, and that he'll get what's coming to him!

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing that's giving the blackmailer any power is shame on your part. I don't even think you need to come out, necessarily. All he has to do is open his foul mouth and he'll see what people think of A-holes like that.

16. Simple Thoughts

Don't let anyone blackmail you seriously.

No matter what he says or threatens don't submit to those demands. It will bring you only pain and misery from this point forward. He won't stop where he is, once he realizes that he has a weapon that he can use against you the demands will just keep moving forward and getting progressively worse.

You need to take the firm stand now and put an end to this. Take the power he's trying to leverage against you and use it as leverage against him. Come out. Unfortunately life has decided to put your coming out on a timer, but at the end of it all it's the better route for you.

Never, ever, let yourself be blackmailed. It always seems like the only option, but honestly it isn't. In fact it isn't even any option. It's the illusion of choice, and you're better off cutting away all the bs that comes with it.

If you're worried about what your supporters and fans would think about you being gay...take five minutes and imagine what they'll think when they perceive you as losing your spine and submitting to someone else's demands? ( he'll definitely make you do things that will be perceived in this way )

The gaming community eats the weak alive...so being weak isn't really an option for you. =/

P.S: You don't negotiate with blackmailers. It's a waste of time and effort...the only benefit you can gain from attempting negotiations personally is 'illusion of control'. If you're legitimately trying to negotiate all you're doing is confirming to him that he has power of you.

#16 Simple Thoughts, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  17. Mr Bubbles

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's really helpful. I am preparing several statements in the event that I do have to make a video response to him, but I find myself forced into trying to negotiate with him.

While I am worried about telling my fans that I'm gay, the main reason for trying to negotiate this is that I'm not allowed to tell my brother that I'm gay. I could handle coming out to my fans, but I'm simply not allowed to tell my brother. My mom won't let me. And in a way, I agree with her. He has been having a very rough go of things lately and he has given some behavioral clues that lead us to believe there are some deeper issues going on. We are worried that telling him might cause him to snap or something. I know family is supposed to love each other no matter what, but I don't know if that would be the case here... my family is extremely religious and those that know so far don't like it and don't really accept it. My brother is also religious and I'm worried that he would get violent about this (Like the rest of my family, he doesn't like gays, but the problem here is that he is very easily provoked and gets into fights a lot). I know for sure that I will not be allowed to make a statement acknowledging the fact that I'm gay unless he reveals it first, otherwise my parents would kill me (figuratively... I hope).

Another problem is that my mom's church friends watch me videos and it would be bad if they found out that I'm gay because they would probably kick her out. She also happens to work at a church, and she could potentially lose her job for this. I know this sort of thing isn't supposed to happen, but the churches I'm describing are extremely conservative and bigoted. (Unfortunately, my mother agrees with their principles. Also please note that I know that not all religious people are like this... the religious people in my life, however, are.)

The reasons I have listed are the only ones that prevent me from just making a statement now. I'm trapped, and the ex-teammate knows it. He knows that I can't publicly come out without potentially serious backlash from my family, and also some directed towards my family. Everyone here though is probably right, negotiating with him will only drag it out, and possibly make it worse, but I have to try. I will not let him get me into a permanent, binding blackmail situation though. If he will not be reasonable I will be forced to make an announcement.

If I do have to come out to everyone though, I will probably use the letter that ElliaOtaku posted to make a video response. Thanks you so much for that, it was very well-worded and I think that it will be my best option if I have to come out.

As the situation progresses later on today, I'll make sure to post explaining what's happening. Hopefully this will settle down, but I have a bad feeling that it won't. Thanks again to everyone who has given me advice!

18. Maicob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People will surprise you. This could be an opportunity to live an open life as who you really are and cut your fanbase down to those who are really interested in your career. I don't think the number will go down too much.

Family issues make it harder, but they might surprise you too.

19. Simple Thoughts

I'm sorry to hear about your church :frowning2:

I hate people like that so much... >.>

I hope everything works out, keep us updated.

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frankly, I would ignore your family anyway.

I can't help but notice that you have repeatedly said that your mum completely agrees with the conservative position of the church.

The thing is, you ARE gay. That isn't going anyway. If your mum agrees with their policy of discrimination, frankly I would consider her losing her job to be entirely HER PROBLEM.

You don't get to sit there and say that you happily support a church that would someone out because a member of their family is gay, and at the same time demand you keep it hushed up in case she gets kicked out. You just don't get to do that. It's so hypocritical.

Now think of it like this. You've basically got 3 outcomes here.

1. You tell everyone.
    2. He tells everyone.
    3. He abuses you until you do something you will regret, or do number 1.

It almost doesn't matter what you do, this is coming out eventually, and it's better it comes from you.

You're being blackmailed from both sides here.

You've got your former friend saying he will tell everyone you are gay if you don't do as he says.

You've got your mother telling you that bad things will happen if you don't do as SHE says (not telling people that you are gay).

The thing is, bad stuff may happen to you as a result of this, but you know what? Currently, you are the only one suffering because of this. You've done nothing wrong and yet you've got people on your case from both sides.

Let them suffer for a bit.