1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for a Job help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Apr 2, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I've applied for a job at my local (insert name of popular coffee shop) and I need help with a couple of things...
    My mentor through this program through the school got me the manager's card, I called but for about a week I couldn't get ahold of her because...
    1. I had UIL competitions
    2. I had a One Act Play public performance
    3.They started a remodel Monday and didn't finish until today
    So I finally got in touch with the manager and I applied online.
    But, the online application makes it appear that I have absolutely NO experience in working behind the counter. It only asked for work experience, but I do have experience in other ways such as volunteer work at concession stands and stuff like that. I also have references from teachers that I can use.
    In short, the online application does not have a place to upload my own resume. It looks like I have no experience and wouldn't make a good employee over somebody with experience.

So what I'm thinking is I can print off my resume and drop it off in person. Is this a good idea? Also, any advise on what I should do in an interview. I have a suit that I plan on wearing, but any other advise? Thank you!

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Giving a hard-copy resume is an alright idea, but they should also understand that 16 year-olds don't usually have tons or even any work experience. Although with volunteer work, you have a big leg up. If at all possible, I'd say include that in the work experience fields and make do, rather than having to circumvent their system.

My advice for the interview? Know about the company. Get to know names of/make acquaintance with people who work there, and if possible, learn who the higher-up bosses are. Also know the company's general "mission" so to speak (other than the obvious: sell gobs and gobs of coffee) so you can articulate how you will help them. If you do that, they will be begging you to work for them.

3. willycubed28

I totally agree with everything you said. I would also add that if you land an interview I would look at least presentable. Buttoned up shirt, slacks...But that is just me. Hope it all goes well for you.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's what I tell people who are trying to get hired. This applies almost anywhere.

-- Going into the place in person will set you apart from 90% of the applicants, especially if you dress *really* nicely. If there's some sort of de facto uniform (like Starbucks all-black), then go with that. For Starbucks, for example, show up dressed in black dress slacks (not jeans or painters or other baggy pants) and a black button-down with a black tie and black shoes (don't need to be dress shoes.) Call first and find out when the hiring manager will be there, and go during a time s/he's there that isn't in the middle of their rush (mid-morning or mid-afternoon for most coffeeshops is good.) I guarantee you'll be memorable to her if you put the extra effort into looking really professional (even if it's overkill for what the normal work clothes are) because it shows you care about the job and know what it means to demonstrate that.

-- Having a completed hard copy of the application is a big plus. They'll look at you and probably hold onto the copy you gave them and maybe make some notes on it after you leave.

-- I'd recommend including a short cover letter (typed, formal business letter style) about why you'd like to work there and focusing on (this is important) how you think the company would benefit by hiring you. Make this about why they would benefit from having you, not why it would benefit you. Employers are looking for staff that wants to be part of a team and wants to help the company be more successful, provide great service, grow sales, not people who only want to make some money.

-- Ask for the sale! Politely ask when you could come for an interview, and maybe ask what their hiring/decision process looks like.

I can guarantee you that doing the above will set you apart from about 90% of people applying. I'm constantly amazed at the stories I hear about people who show up wearing a dirty t-shirt, board shorts, and flip flops, chewing gum, and maybe dragging friends along. And I don't mean 16 year olds either... people in their mid-20s who ought to know better.

Also, keep in mind it's a numbers game. Even with all of the above, you might not get the job, but it's all about putting in a bunch of applications and then following up by phone on each and every one, sometimes multiple times, until you find out whether or not they're interested.

Local coffee shops and fast food places are usually the first employer for many teens, so they're used to taking on employees with no prior work experience. I believe that Wal-Mart also hires high school students, and that might be a good choice also if there's one near you.