1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting someone in person - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nicholas1991, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Nicholas1991

Have any of you guys ever had any experiences meeting someone from online? the reason i ask is because ive been talking to a guy online, and he asked if i want to meet up. I want to do something, because all i do is sit at home and study, but i'm kind of unsure. We live in the same city, but this guy doesn't have a picture and we were only talking for about two weeks before he suggested it. is there 'rules' to this thing? i'm kind of lost here. Advice/suggestions?

2. Gen

Gen

How old are both of you?

Meeting someone that one has met online isn't that rare these days, but it doesn't mean that it is something that should be taken lightly. Especially since two weeks is a very short period of time. Has he given a reason why he hasn't shared a picture of himself to you?

3. Nicholas1991

I really should get around to putting my age on here shouldn't I, we're both 22.

Well, with regards to the picture thing, i dont know why i havent asked, he says that hes awkward with this kind of thing as well. Weve only ever talked a handful of times, and don't really know that much about each other i guess.

4. Nicholas1991

Don't bother reading this thread, I don't care any more.

5. photoguy93

I'm just going to reply anyways...

First, can you tell us what kind of site it was? I know we can't get into details, but was it a dating site or a hookup site?

Secondly, I usually hold my picture back and judge the guy for a bit. If he seems alright, I go for it.
    If it has been TWO WEEKS, then something is up.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there shouldn't be any problem, but only do it if you're comfortable. There's nothing wrong with asking to skype him or something first, or talk for longer.
    If you do meet up, do it in a public place with lots of people around.

7. BelleFromHell

My best friend lives in Nevada and I've known her for 3 years. We've never met in person.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it! As long as you meet in a public place and go along with an open mind (these are the most important considerations imo).

Been with my partner for ten years and we first connected online. I didn't go into meeting him expecting more than friendship, but here we are a decade on and planning to get married.

9. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do plan on meeting my girlfriend this summer when we are both ready. But we have been talking for several years as friends, we have face timed, talked on the phone, and text for hours on end everyday.

Since your situation is different I would strongly suggest either skyping or face timing one another. If he says no to that ask for a few pictures of him. There's google search where you can run the pictures to see if he is really who he says he is, and not just using someone else's pictures. I would also suggest waiting and getting to know each other more. However if you go through with meeting him make sure it's in a public place!

10. fortheloveoflez

I've met a lot of people from online. Some were duds others where awesome..

My suggestion to you: Ask him to skype before you meet up (using the video chat feature) so you can see for sure if he is who he says he is. If nothing, it can at least calm down your nerves a bit.

if he doesn't want to video chat but you still have faith in him, I'd suggest that you ask him to post a picture in which he is holding a paper with a certain word that you tell him...so let's say you tell him to write down wolf on a yellow piece of paper and stand in the kitchen.....that way, the picture might be a tad more original and you can maybe guess that he didn't copy and paste it from some where

#10 fortheloveoflez, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014