1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When someone argues against homosexuality using HIV as their point, what do you day?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ezkill, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ezkill

I'm not sure if this is the right place in the forum, but I'm curious as to how you would counter a bigot's argument over gay marriage and gay rights when they use HIV as one of their pivot points. This is really bugging me, because I think it's a thinly veiled attempt at validating someone's own bigotry. However, surely any argument citing the prevalence of HIV in the gay community as a supporting point, can be destroyed.

What do you guys think or have to say about this?

2. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Re: When someone argues against homosexuality using HIV as their point, what do you d

I would stare. I would stare longer. Then I would let out a long sigh and hold the bridge of my nose, "You... know that heterosexuals spread HIV more then homosexuals, right? Because HIV is spread by prostitutes more then any other means and straight guys pay for sex a whole lot more then gay men."

Then I would facepalm, "I mean, seriously? Monogamy is the cornerstone for stopping the spread of AIDS and you want to PREVENT people from doing that? You want to STOP marriage? You want to ENCOURAGE promiscuity?

I would drop my hand then say, "Go away until you can speak in a logical fashion."

3. Kat 5

Re: When someone argues against homosexuality using HIV as their point, what do you d

Your argument is invalid. Now think about prostitutes.

Attached Files:

4. ezkill

These are sort of things I was thinking about, but I'm not sure if bigots will ever change their mind. Are these sorts of debates ever worth my time? I feel like open minded people who see the clusterfuck of bigotry will only see one side of the issue ever, and not the other

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Bigots generally are not arguing using logic. Rey are arguing a belief using whatever they cN find to try to justify their position. Generally you resolve one argument they find more inaccurate bs without missing a beat.

Prostitutes aside, it is true that the highest infection rate is currently heterosexual women so the gay argument goes out the window. But I doubt thT argument will change his viewpoint.

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

HIV can be as much a risk to heterosexual couples as homosexual ones. Granted, there may be an increased risk, but this can be overcome through correct education and protection (like all things).

I mean, mentioning HIV as an argument against homosexuals is no more to the point as mentioning, say, teenage pregnancy, in heterosexual couples (although this is actually not a risk factor for same sex ones). It's just stupid, and doesn't give any real weight to their argument.

As you said, it's just a way to reinforce their bigotry as these people clearly believe that not everyone should have the right to be happy with the person they love unless it conforms to "their" narrow minded world view.

Let's hope such bigotry will disappear over time,

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I would simply reply that it is a disgusting and shameful thing to bring up a devastating and potentially lethal disease, which affects far more heterosexuals than gay people, to make a political point.

No arguing with these people.

8. Theron

"HIV is more prevalent in straight people now."

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

HIV is a virus that is spread from one infected person to another. It doesn't just magically appear in people, whether they are gay or straight. If 2 gay people who don't have STD's get married, and they stay faithful to their marriage vows, they're not going to get AIDS, or give it to others. If you are promiscuous, and or don't practice safe sex, then you risk getting an STD, whether you are gay or straight. But I wouldn't worry about an explanation anyway with most homophobes. What they say doesn't have to be logical or make sense, it's just a political mantra to support their position. The only people you might convince will be people listening to that crap on the side.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You can't argue with idiots and it's not even worth the effort. I think I'd just say "you have absolutely no idea and I'm not wasting my time on this ****".

11. blimmr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I would just do a dramatic laugh and then stare at the person. That is the most ignorant thing to say. So I'm guessing crabs and other stds just bounce off of heteros and land straight to the gays.. ok.. yea live in lala world for a while.

12. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family

HIV can equally be spread through heterosexuality. I'd explain that to them, though I doubt they'd get the point.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Actually, I've had a legitimate debate with someone about this. CDC shows that it is MSM who is still most affected.

Basically, if the person has a legitimate argument and has compelling evidence, I'm more likely to side with them. That doesn't mean I full-on just switch to the other side, though. Hating people because of things like this will only worsen the problem they point out.

If they just said something stupid and gave me "evidence" from Fox News, I'm much more likely to not take it as seriously. So, what leaves me in a position at the end of the day?

1. Logical, well thought out argument
    2. Evidence
    3. Good source for the evidence.
    4. Plausible correlation between evidence and argument.

#13 Jinkies, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  14. Hiems

Denying rights for a minority on the basis of predisposition to HIV transmission - not whether or not a person actually has it - sounds so messed up at the end of the day. That's why I would not even bother arguing at all.

15. IG88

I would show them a picture of this boy and ask if he contracted HIV sexually. Ryan White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    HIV can affect gay, straight, and celibate people if they get HIV blood in their system. It's not an epidemic contained to one demographic, it's a human epidemic.

16. LostAndAffraid

Well I quite enjoy debate that falls into this category but I've never dealt with someone who used that as their main point, but it'd I did I'd like to imagine I would stay calm and simply tell him or her that the disease is actually passed more frequently between hetero's these days and that he should research his argument before bringing into battle haphazardly.

17. BelleFromHell

Hetrosexuals are just as likely to get HIV than homosexuals, if not more so.
    Plus, people can come in contact with HIV non-sexually. It may not be as common as sexual transmission, but it still happens.

18. machinegundwarf

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

magic johnson got hiv

19. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family

HIV can be spread through heterosexual relations as well :/ I don't know how bigots can even use this as a point. This point singlehandedly shows lack of knowledge about the subject.

20. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

F*** you...that's how I would respond.

Seriously, I do not understand what the big deal is with homosexuality amongst bigots! A lot has to do with religion and how so many people take it so literally! Ugh, this is such a hot topic with me! So I'm going to stop now before I write a twenty page essay that may or may not get me banned from this site...