1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharpie over scars?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ThisIsTheKenneth, Apr 7, 2014.

1. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a lot of very noticeable scars on my inner arms. They're completely healed and I'm working on getting them to fade but I'm afraid it'll take a while. My question is : is it alright to draw on myself to cover them? Would that draw more unwanted attention to them, or less? It's going to get very hot very soon so I can't keep wearing sleeves.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not wanting to be 'that guy' but there's only two ways you could possibly draw over them in sharpie. Either you just go across the lines, in which case you've replaced scars with black lines, or you draw a picture over them and make it dark enough to cover it all.

Point is, either way I cannot physically imagine how any amount of coloured marker on your arm could be LESS noticeable than scars...that and you'll be 'that one that draws on themself all the time' for the whole summer...

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

You can try make up

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best bet here.

But markers are totally suspicious and less inconspicuous.

I hate to presume but if you're trying to hide something (the op), then this isn't the way to go.

5. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think sleeves is the best option for you. Just put a thin shirt over your tee, don't button it up - it won't be much hotter this way. Drawings on your arms will draw a lot of attention to you (and what if someone asks to see the drawings up close?), plus I can imagine how time consuming it will be, you'll have to redo everything every or every other day. And makeup will only end up on your clothes. Just stick with sleeves.

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Sleeves are your best bet as nikidion said, I use to do that for a long time until my scars weren't noticeable anymore. All I would wear in the summer was a very thin flannel over a band t-shirt, no one really looks twice at that.

7. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well thanks you guys.

8. Sleeves, makeup, or tattoos (if you're of age).

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could try drawing on them, but most likely that would draw people's attention to that area, which means that they would probably see those scars. I wear some wristbands, and a watch. They don't cover up the scars, but people are more likely to focus on them than they are my scars.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how bad the scarring is, but have you considered the possibility of using temporary tattoo's?

Also, take a look at this UK based website (Life Signs):

Scars : Help for Self-Injury :: LifeSIGNS

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a tattoo that is in the same location. Some people notice but not many. Mine are in a location that they can be easily hidden.

If you want you can try make up, scar cream, a light shirt, but summer can be ungodly hot, or temporary tattoos.

12. 741852963

I think scars are always less noticeable than you think, namely as people see them from a greater distance.

I'd say scars do fade over time. I'd say the first five years will be the most dramatic fading. You can try a thick emollient cream or barrier cream for a few months which can aid things along nicely, really massage it in to damp skin as this can break down scar tissue.

After that if you are still bothered there are other options available. You can try scar creams; you need the silicone gels which are pretty pricey (about $40-50 a tube) but proven to reduce scars and its not like you need to use them long term. Stuff like BioOil is not better than the emollient creams so if you have already tried them you are best going straight to silicone. The other options (laser, dermabrasion, surgical scar revision, skin grafting) are very expensive and can even cause worse scarring.

But yeh, just look after your skin from now on (get some emollient cream or scar gel), no more scarring/cutting and just learn to get used to them. People probably don't notice or care!

13. LostAndAffraid

I'm sorry you hurt enough to cut in the first place, I know I used to before I admitted my sexuality to myself, I eventually stopped but still resorted to hurting myself in other ways, snapping a rubber band on my wrist, pulling out hair, punching myself(hard), I still can't break the self destruction cycle sometimes. But yeah, haven't cut myself in a very long time thankfully, but I just always wore long sleeves myself I'd say that's the best bet.

14. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I agree, using make up would be much better than a marker as it is hard to replicate the skins complexion with only one hue c: Without looking estranged/ If you are trying to shake an already "emo/scene" look, I can't exactly recommend wearing the bands or hoodies everyday- especially now that it is getting pretty warm out :grin: It also comes down to if you really need to conceal these scars. Would people make fun of them, point them out or make the atmosphere between you and them strange? Also scars, if fully healed like you said, will usually be close enough of a colour that it would only be noticeable at close, given that they didn't heal with red colouring that is.

One other suggestion I can think of is simply posture. I haven't seen these scars myself obviously, so unless they cross a large portion of your arm, then if you keep your arms inward, it should be hard for others to see the scars. If you are simply trying to hide them from everybody, as I'll assume, just put on a little bit each morning and you should be fine ^^

15. theoryso

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    make up works great, if not making it somewhat unnoticeable it can at least help fade it from attention

16. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Sorry I disappeared there for a while!
    Ah, see the thing is I'm ridiculously pale and most of them have scarred a reddish tan color and go from my wrist to my shoulder on one arm and just to the elbow on the other, and in places onto the back so the posture thing wouldn't work. I'd say fuck it I don't care but several of my friends also struggle with this and I don't want to trigger them or anything and I'm afraid a teacher will send me to the counselor or a DHS person will show up wanting to talk to me again. Probably going to go with the button-down on top of t-shirt thing.

17. Gen

Gen

Definitely wear longer clothing or use makeup. Neither should take too much effort.

Sharpies are very high in dyes and other, truthfully unnecessary, chemicals. Routinely applying ink to the skin would be unhealthy enough if it were healthy; let alone scarred. Make sure that you keep them moisturized and scrub the area well when showering to shave off dead skin cells.