1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anger Issues

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nichison, Apr 8, 2014.

1. nichison

I've struggled with anger issues for as long as I can remember, but it's gotten much worse recently. It seems like anything can set me off and I just snap, then afterwards I feel bad for getting mad. Today I was eating a salad and soup for lunch, and my friend took my plastic container of cheese and put it in my soup, not the cheese just the container. Nothing got hutlrt or messy but I got so angry and yelled at him "Will you stop f**ing with my s**t!" Then after I felt bad about snapping at my friend. I don't know why I get this angry at stuff but it happens all the time. I can be happy one second and the next just fuming, from even the littlest thing. Is there something wrong with me?

2. Mehmeister

anger management can be annoying, but to overcome it you will need to find the source of it. whether that be...
    -absent dad/father figure
    -household violence
    -angry friends/relatives
    -things happening in your life that make you angry
    or possibly you may have not emotionally/mentally excepted who you are.

Hope this helps!

3. B B

B B

I'm sure you can overcome this problem, but it will require time and application. You should try to understand why you get angry so easily: if you remove the root of the problem, you'll be okay. But, maybe this is just a trait of your character and there isn't a specific reason for your anger. If things are like that, you will have to work on your self-control. I know it will be difficult, but, eventually, you'll overcome your anger.
    You could also talk about this to a friend or someone close to you, who maybe could help you with anger management :slight_smile:

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess there are two things you can look at here:

1) the source of your anger. Some people are naturally fiery whilst others may have some psychological reason for it. Maybe something to do with their past or their circumstances. You need to reflect on this as it is the first step in dealing with those feelings.

2) an outlet for your anger. It's good to try and find an appropriate outlet for your anger. Rather then take things out on your friends, find an activity or way to express yourself. For example, I do martial arts which is great to work out my aggression (not beating people up but whacking pads, although my friends and I do like a good scrap). I also keep a journal to write things down and express myself. Perhaps you could try something similar.

Hope this helps,

Happy days :slight_smile:

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God I used to be so angry and would fly off the handle at such stupid stuff. I also would get so sad easily.

This is what lead to my diagnosis with bipolar. I'm on medicine and I don't fly off the handle anymore. I get sad and depressed sometimes but my manic part has entirely disappeared.

Maybe I've also matured.

Finding an outlet also helps. I love blasting a fool in the face in something like Call of Duty.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had my struggles with anger as well. Usually when I feel something like that coming on, I try to get away from the situation for a minute. Usually, I'll excuse myself and go to the bathroom or something like that. If I am alone, I'll take long walks. Sometimes, I'll just go on funny websites.

I learned that a lot of my anger came from the fact that I was unhappy with my gender. Still though, I will have my days where I am on edge. So, taking a look at yourself and trying to find why you are angry is a good idea. If you can find the root of the problem, then you will be able to better understand why you are angry.

7. GayDadStr8Marig

For myself, I learned that my angry outbursts came from living in denial about being gay. I knew I was being dishonest with myself, but I refused to face reality for so long it was eating away at me. I took it out on the people around me whom I claimed to love; my wife and to a much lesser extent the kids... never physical, just the occasional outburst of yelling. Every time it happened, I felt even worse about myself as it reinforced the image I had of myself being broken and unworthy of love.

I finally turned the corner when I accepted myself as a gay man. Since then I have been angry about things, but have been in control of my emotions. And instead of getting angry about a simple question at home, it's usually something larger going on that triggers it. Most often from reading threads here from the younger crowd like you had earlier this year about the treatment you get at home and school just because you happen to be gay.

But you should also give yourself a bit of a break too. You're 16 right? It's a difficult age with all the changes going on physically and psychologically. Adding on the stress of being outed at school and dealing with the aftermath has only heightened your awareness of being wronged (or perceived wrongs), so even simple things that would usually just be an annoyance become explosive.

At any rate it's good to hear from you again! Take care and keep in touch.

-Rick