1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid to be loved

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlsOn, Apr 9, 2014.

1. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I think I realized I'm afraid of being loved.
    I want to love but currently I couldn't handle to be loved.
    Any suggestions how I can overcome this?
    Thanks

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

You're afraid to be loved maybe because you're afraid that someone could break your heart?

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Could be.
    But I rather think I believe I'm not worth to be that loved.
    Woa, that sounds depressing....

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be different for you, but I've struggled with this also - especially with feeling that no one should love me. After years of self-reflection, I've come to the conclusion that it really is a power thing. Loving someone is easy, it's active, it allows you to sacrifice and console. Being loved is terrifying because you feel vulnerable to hurt, and you feel someone else touch your heart in ways you've never experienced. Loving someone is painful. Being loved is maddening. Both are fantastic.

I think that this is one of those things that has to be lived through rather than thought through. You can't get over being afraid of being loved until you feel loved and realize that love isn't fleeting or that if it is, that you're strong enough to move on.

Hang in there. :slight_smile:

5. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Hope you're right.

6. B B

B B

Why would you not be worth to be loved? You're a great person, and I can't see any reasons for which someone shouldn't love you :slight_smile: More generally, I think that none is unworthy of being loved, because everyone deserves love in their life. Love is what makes our life beautiful and makes us forget of our pains, or helps us overcome them. Please don't think you should not be loved, because you deserve to! Just like everyone else :slight_smile:

7. LostAndAffraid

I struggle with the same thoughts from time to time, especially before I started on this path of accepting myself. Before I didn't think I would ever be loved.I've loved without it being returned and it lead to me being the most depressed I've ever been, I'm still not entirely over it.

8. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

That made me smile:slight_smile: Thanks:wink:

Maybe I should just do it

9. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Definitely (!)

10. Opture

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had similar problems, and for me I've found that I need to focus on loving myself as much as I love other people - and that helps me accept other peoples' love. Confusing sentence right there, haha! But yeah, I starting paying attention to how and why I loved other people - my friends, boyfriends, family - and then tried to remember to treat myself the same way. Soon I realized that I deserved the love I was being given, cos I finally could appreciate who I am. :slight_smile:

11. Theron

Before I got engaged, I was terrified of the prospect. I felt like I didn't deserve him loving me as much as he does.

If you didn't deserve it, they wouldn't love you.