1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing Your Heart On Your Sleeve

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Apr 12, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

My Mum says I do this a lot, and it's bad. My counsellor says it's not a bad thing. Is it bad or good?

2. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

There's nothing inherently wrong about it, it's only you have to be a bit more careful if you know you are around people who might be judgemental.

3. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but be careful. My ex wears her on her sleeve and ends up falling for a different girl each week which so far has ended in heartbreak every time.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing wrong with. Your mom mostly likely knows that wearing your heart, or emotions, on your sleeve means people will and can hurt you. I wear my emotions on my sleeve, though I'm usually angry. I speak from experience that people can see what you're feeling and try to use it against you.

5. fortheloveoflez

I used to be like this. Now, after feeling my heart break in a million pieces, I stopped wearing my heart on my sleeve. I think that one needs a balance; but ultimately you are the judge on how you want to behave. I think if you want to or just can't change this then you shouldn't try to change.

For me, I'm not cold but some times I don't want to jump into commitments right away when the other individuals just don't show signs of exhibiting the same interest.

I think once you have a really bad experience you tend to guard your heart a bit more...I know that's true for me.

6. ZenMusic

She means I tell people certain things that She doesn't want me to, some of them I feel guilty over, some of them I don't and most of the time it's the latter. She had gotten angry at me because my social worker asked me if I wanted counselling and I said yes

7. Theron

It makes you vulnerable. Sometimes it can be good around people you love, but it can be bad if someone uses it to take advantage of you.

8. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I tend to do this too. There are risks and dangers involved, because it leaves you open to a lot of pain. Sometimes even people with the best of intentions can end up using you because you care and give too much of yourself. I think it is both a strength and a weakness. The best advice I have is to be mindful of your nature. Sometimes being selective of who you open up to totally helps too. Lately I have been working on choosing to devote more time with people who want to invest the effort into maintaining a friendship and are willing to communicate, because that is what I know I need for me. Knowing what how you want to be treated by others helps you sort out who you want to open up to and avoids some of the heartbreak.