1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Serious Advice.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by willycubed28, Apr 12, 2014.

1. willycubed28

So I just recently got hired on to a famous restaurant in the Southeast. It has been really good except something has come to my attention and I don't know what to do. A lot of people have come up and asked me if I was gay. I was honest, and said yes. Then I heard that I need to keep it on the down low, because all of the managers are right wing conservatives and are homophobic. They hate gay people. I need this job. I really don't know what to do. It is a private restaurant so its not like I can go to corporate over it. Even the owners are right wing conservatives and hate gay people.

2. josh9623

As much as i hate to say it, since there are no lgbt employment protections in Alabama, you should probably keep it on the down low as was suggested. If it really bothers you look around and try to get a different job at a larger national company (most have lgbt friendly non-discrimination policies) although it may be best to stay in your current job for a while first (looks better on a resume).

3. LostAndAffraid

Yeah tough situation, but if you need the job you gotta do what you gotta do, just look for another job in the mean time

4. Theron

Keep it on the down-low. Technically they're not allowed to discriminate, but they find some other excuse for firing you.

5. willycubed28

I moved to Florida..I am not in Alabama.