1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Nightmares

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sitri, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Sitri

So, lately I've been having these nightmares that always happen pretty much the same way. I'm in public and I see a gay couple walking by and I can't help but smile faintly. And then they beat me up. Not just physically, mentally too, it's as if they know my greatest fears...and I can't fight back because that would mean coming out(dream logic, don't question it). Does anybody know how to stop repeating nightmares, they are really leaving me upset whe I wake up.

2. Kabuki

Well, what I use to repeat dreams is think about them before sleeping. Yeah I know that is not what you want, but maybe you can use it to prevent repeating that scenario, as in thinking of something else. Are you, in some way, able to manipulate your dreams?

3. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm no neurobiologist or pyschotherapist, but it sounds like your sub-conscious is telling you that you need to come out soon, but your desire to stay closeted is conflicting with that - hence the beating you up. If you have a trusted friend or family member who can keep the secret until you're ready to publicly come out, try coming out to them and see if it has any effect your dreams. Remember, dreams are our brains' way of dealing with and processing stuff we aren't comfortable with thinking about consciously. Just my thoughts on the subject, but don't take it as read.

Edit: I once had a dream about having sex with a woman. Freaky, I know, but in the dream we were both extremely dirty (like covered with mud), as though the whole was somehow wrong. This was around the time I was questioning my sexuality, and I took it as a sign that I really had no interest in women and was actually gay. Perhaps this is a similar thing for you?

#3 danball7, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see dreams as manifestations of your unresolved thoughts and worries when you're awake. It seems pretty obvious that these dreams are reflections of some of the worries you're having when you're awake, so working on those would help the dreams. That's easier said than done...trust me, I've had more than my fair share of anxious dreams.

5. Theron

Your dreams are often a message from your subconscious. In this case, it's likely telling you that the gay side of you (that makes you bi) is mentally beating you up. You need to take steps towards accepting yourself.

6. I agree. In a way, the gay part of you is beating up the straight part of you for trying to hide it away for so long. This interpretation makes a lot of sense.