1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I probably shouldn't come out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gentlady, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had the school nurse check today, and we talked about... Pretty much everything. How my parents are getting a divorce, how I broke up with my boyfriend, how I'm madly in love with my best friend... And she basically told me I shouldn't come out to my psychologist or even tell him about the break-up with my boyfriend (she knows him). And now I just don't know if I should do as she said or not!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends why you see a psychologist really...I can think of reasons not to tell him your orientation but I can't think of ANY reason to not talk about a break-up if you needed to...

Did she explain WHY?

3. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I see him for all the problems I have, started with the divorce. But the nurse said that I can talk to her too, since he wouldn't probably have much to say. And also, it's easier for me to talk to the nurse, because she's a woman and my psychologist is a man(crappy reason, I know, but I find it easier anyway).

4. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I think only you can figure out if you are ready to come out. If your parents are going through a divorce that could be difficult for them. You may have to wait a bit, but if you are miserable and being open about who you are will help with your mental well being, then it may be time to do it anyway. Maybe make a list of pros and cons, and see which list is longer? Are you in a position where you can support yourself independent of your parents? That may be an important deciding factor. Maybe wait if you find the risks are too great for now, but start working towards getting in a position where you can comfortably come out if you need or want to.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is, if you are seeing a psychologist because you are struggling to deal with things, then hiding information from him isn't going to help.

I mean if you go to him and tell him you are only worried about your parents divorce, he can try and try forever to make you feel better, but if a romantic breakup and your orientation are bothering you too he'll never be able to do it.

There's no reason you can't talk to both of them...

6. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have come out to my friends, two cousins and the school nurse. I thought I maybe could come out to the psychologist as well, but not to my parents. I thought I would keep me parents out of this as long as I am underage(which will take four years and a couple of months). I'm quite young, yes, but I am sure this is not a phase. I have loved(yes, LOVED, not had a crush on) my best friend since I was 10(I realized it some months ago, though).