1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My insecurity and aspiration

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Marshal Andrew, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Marshal Andrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Good day to all of you,

I would like to introduce myself first. You can call me Andrew. I am 15 years old an in a few months ahead, I will be 16 years old already.

My problem is, I will be 16 years old already and I will just be in the ninth grade. I am 2 years behind my peers. Ninth grade students here in my country, like in the United States, is normally 14 years old.

So I am 16 years old and in just ninth grade. I should be already Eleventh Grade (or First Year college, because of the old curriculum) in the upcoming school year but I stopped twice, so this is the consequence. I am now reaping the consequence of my bad decisions.

I know this is my fault, my own fault. I have done many defense mechanisms to lessen my anxieties. But using defense mechanisms won't just work. I know I have to do something, which I don't know what.

I feel very insecure now. I can take the acceleration test, but I know that's not easy, if not that hard.

Having been two years ahead of my peers led me to many relationships problem. I don't know if I'm just weird or it's just that I am mature enough I can't tolerate their childishness or both.

So what do I do now? Should I take the acceleration test or not? If I will take my acceleration test, I will be in tenth grade (Fourth Year High School, because of the old curriculum) already. Tenth grade (Fourth Year High School, because of the old curriculum) is the last year of basic education in my country, at least for this upcoming school year. I may be rushing things too much.

One more problem of mine is that I want to study at Harvard University or Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Let's put it this way, I'm smart but I'm not genius. But I really like tot study at Harvard University or Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

If I am going to take the acceleration test, I will be having only few months to study for the SATs, which I know is nearly impossible for my capabilities. We don't even have SATs here in my country.

Now, if I won't take acceleration test, I will have four years ahead of me to prepare.

Curriculum have changed in my country so please do not be confused. If I am not going to take the acceleration test, I will be studying til Grade 12. If I am going to take it, then I will be studying only til Grade 10 (Fourth Year High School, because of the old curriculum). We will be the first batch to graduate at Grade 12, at new curriculum. So if I am going to skip, I will belong to the last batch that will be graduating only up to Grade 10? I hope you get it.

But the problem is, even though I have four years ahead of me when I don't take acceleration. We do not have AP course here in the Philippines or any equivalent of it. We are just a normal country.

So if I will accelerate, I have no chances of being admitted at the two prestigious universities I have said, because I have no strong credentials (AP courses, college-level courses) to give them although I am on top of my class but that's just not enough, I know it. It's not that I can't take those courses, but we do not have them here.

So the last chance, if I will accelerate, is just to study here in my country. We have a premiere university here. The entrance examination of that university is set on August and the filing of application is set on June. Now, the acceleration test is also in June. So there is conflict in the filing of application to the acceleration test. What the? Also, I will just have a few months to review for the entrance examination, even if there will be no conflict in the filing of application and acceleration test.

So if I will not accelerate, I will not have plenty of years ahead for preparing for Harvard University or Massachusetts Institute of Technology. But then again, I am not getting any younger anymore. I will be 20 years old freshman in college, if ever. I think Harvard University or Massachusetts Institute of Technology will question that and probably will lessen my chance of being admitted.

But even though I have plenty of years, we still do not have AP subjects here and SAT exam, so even if I have about four years, I won't still be accepted by either of the two.

Sad, isn't it?

So my plan is to take scholarship and I'd like to continue my high school at United States of America so I can take AP subjects and the SAT exams. But I know this is nearly impossible. But I hope I will!

Last, I am gay. I also have fear I may not be accepted in the Engineering course, or even if I will, I will face bullying. But I know if ever, Harvard or MIT, is very open to human differences, including sexuality. I have always been out-of-place, just like many folks here, because I am gay. I was once told by a classmate that, "Yes you're smart, or even a genius, but a gay." I don't care if he meant that or not, but that simply hurts. Right?

But as of now, my problem is my age, conflicts, and education aspiration.

Please help and I hope you'd offer insights and probably lead me where I can take scholarships so I can attend high school at USA. But if not, at least moral support.

Thank you for your kind understanding and sorry for the long post, I can't just find to squeeze it.

#1 Marshal Andrew, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. Zelos

What a dilemma you're in. I feel utterly useless, really, because for starters I'm not American, so even if I seem to clearly understand your situation thanks to your explainations, I have no idea what would be best for you. Couldn't you take the acceleration test next year? That would give you time to prepare it and you still wouldn't be that old.
    It's great that you're thinking of entering prestigious unis, but perhaps, if all else fails, you should prepare a "plan B", just in case.
    Regarding your classmates, you should try hanging out with people of your age, because there really is a maturity gap between you and them. As for being gay, don't worry. We are in a changing world in which people are getting more and more open-minded and children are being taught that it's okay to be gay. It's getting better for all of us, slowly :slight_smile: I think that if you enter a prestigious uni, no one will care whether you're gay or not.
    In any case good luck with everything :slight_smile: Feel free to message me if you want to talk!

3. Kabuki

I agree with Sheena. I also think you should educate yourself more about the universities, at least from what my professor told us, Harvard's education is not like it was, they only have a name right now. I don't know how much of that is true but I believe I can trust a professor's knowledge.

Always have a "plan B" on this things. Good luck with everything and don't rush. :thumbsup:

4. Marshal Andrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    No. I may not take the acceleration test next school year. This is the last chance of me being accelerated. I'm having really hard time.

Lately, I lose all my enthusiasm. I have age-related insecurity.

The mere fact that my chance in getting admitted at my desired universitied is almost impossible left me to despair.

If I'm not going to accelerate, I will be 20 years old frosh. At that time, my peers may already be working. I feel useless.

Help?