1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP english help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andstillimhere7, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello so the ap english test is coming up and I am nervous about it. I'm not that great when it comes to essays and I have a hard time coming up with a well developed essay. Can anyone give me helpful tips about the test or give me a list of good Ap english study books. Thanks in advance

2. Kabuki

I don't know if I have taken that test, but I can help you a bit with the essays. I remember that when teachers asked us to write essays they would say "write 3 paragraphs and an opinion" atleast this is what they told me where I live. Anyways, essays are not supposed to have opinion, they are supposed to be written in a neutral perspective, unless is a specific type of essay.

Going to the essay, what I learned was this. Lets say that we need to write about the influence of gothic music on adolescence. The first thing you should do is identify what you need to talk about, in this example you need to write about goth music, influence and adolescence. Now that you identify them on the first paragraph you will define them, what is influence? what is goth music? what is adolescence? And on this paragraph you start connecting them. For example, describe what is an adolescence, since most adolescence are easily influenced my external things you can connect it this way. "When on this stage of our lives, we are easily influenced my others. Influence is blah, blah......" and you keep going with what influence is. Then you can say that music is something we are very influenced by and explain a bit about music, and then you continue to a more specific type of music which is goth on this case.

After you do this, on the next paragraphs you begin to write about what you know, what you have heard, or read about goth and what it can cause on adolescence. You can put here the cons and pros of listening to this type of music, and compare them.

After you do this, on the last paragraph which is suppose to be the conclusion, just conclude based on what you wrote. If what you wrote indicates that the cons are higher than the pros or vice versa, then just write it like that.
    An example: "From what was stated above, I conclude that goth music can influence adolescence in this way, or that way, blah blah....." and you keep writing until it's done.

If this is a test with a time restriction than you don't need to write an essay of 3 pages depending on the time given. They just want to see if you are knowledgeable of a general topic and how you can built an essay on the time limit you were given.

I hope this helps a bit, and that I didn't confused you more. :icon_wink

I just looked and I had taken it. My score was 4 of 5. 5 being the highest score.