1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop telling survivors they must report to the police

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Pret Allez, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wanted to share a short but no less important article from Feministing today by Wagatwe Wanjuki. Hopefully, a sample from the middle will entice you to read the whole thing.

My point here is not that rapists shouldn't be punished. In fact, I happen to think that Coker v Georgia and Kennedy v Louisiana were atrocious court decisions.

But the point, more broadly, is that survivors of sexual violence have suffered enough. They don't need to be shamed or questioned in addtion to what they went through for their decisions not to report. I think it's okay to encourage people to report and make them feel supported should they choose so, but it becomes inappropriate to tell them normatively "this is the thing you must do," as if they have a duty to others.

#1 Pret Allez, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree, though it's a complex topic. I think others say that because it's the standard response, and it does seem to be rooted in common sense. However, there are sometimes other considerations to make, people removed from the situation usually have trouble appreciating that.