1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents forcing me to go to church!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gaynerd64, Apr 19, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

My parents are forcing me to go to church tomorrow! I don't want to go! I never really fit in at church, even before I knew I was gay. I stopped going about a year ago. Now they want me to go back... To that damn place of hatred.

2. confusedinnh

confusedinnh Guest

I can so relate to this. I was about 13 when my mom last did that to me. I began dressing inappropriately for church (band t-shirts, etc). She finally told me that if I was going to dress like that I could just stay home.

3. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You do know not all churches are "damn places of hatred" right? Don't generalize a group of people because of how certain people in said group act. :dry:

If you don't want to go and you've told your parents but they're still insisting that you attend a mass, try pretending to be sick or act exhausted (if it's a morning mass). If you're lucky then you might not have to go.

4. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Yeah, I put up with it because it always brings up the whole "We are obligated to raise you as a Christian" ... When we had you baptised, y'know, when you were and infant and couldn't decide for yourselves, and we tell this to ourselves to justify forcing you to go to church.... I wish I was a meaner person, then I could play that card. My parents act as if questioning religion makes you a heathen, so when they ask me to be more "open-minded" towards Christianity, I simply respond that I am being open-minded to all religions. It's strange how you can be spiritual yet not at the same time.... What was the question again? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I dunno, simply explain that it makes you uncomfortable having their beliefs forced upon you, or tell them that you do not agree with the church and it's teachings because of X, Y, or Z (the fact the bible, be all end all of the church, contradicts itself many times is a good point- or that Jesus had a wife when the church has denied that many times- or look up atheist memes and have a laugh while doing it)

If your family consistently goes to church then this might be a problem, but throw the dog a bone, since it is a holy day of obligation it may be a once every few months thing. Oh, you can also tell them that the church even said that you're only required to go to church once a year. :3

5. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom does the same thing! I don't even argue with her now though...I just go, but I never listen to anything. I only go so I don't have to hear her complain later -_-