1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covering up Self Harm Marks?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ElvenDragon, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've been self harming via scratching my upper arm/shoulder area for about a week now and it's getting hard to hide. Right now, the marks are high enough on my shoulder that even a t-shirt can cover them, but only barely. If I were to take off my sweater or something, then my upper arm would be exposed and I'd get caught. I had a play performance the other week and I forgot about my marks and when I took off my shirt to change into my costume, 2 of my friends saw and questioned me about them. I had to lie and say that they were nothing, but now their suspissious. I go around wearing a sweater,but now that it's getting warmer, I might not be able to wear it. Is there any way that I can cover them up or make the less noticeable incase my sleeve gets pulled up?

Thanks to anyone in advance. :icon_redf

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I could give you some advice in covering up. But I won't.
    I did it, too. A year or two ago.
    Stop it. It doesn't make anything better!
    Get help!!
    If you don't want to get help then I'm sorry!
    But if you wanna talk feel free to message me!

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Makeup on healed wounds and long sleeves on fresh ones.

If you're going to take the unfortunate road of self harm and want to/need to hide it you'll have to get used to being uncomfortable. For hot weather just stay hydrated and keep long sleeves and/or pants on for marks that are more visible. If you must self harm and need to hide it the thighs are probably your best bet as they're the easiest to hide and you get to go swimming ^,^

I'm advising against the whole self harm thing but since I kinda gave up on hiding it a while ago I'd be a poor role model. If people find out you will end up getting 'help' for it, and they will find out eventually if you continue down this road.

General rules:
    Keep them clean
    Keep them hidden
    keep trying to stop yourself from becoming someone like me.

I backhanded a box cutter over my hand a bit ago and exposed a tendon, you do not want to go down this road let alone get that far.

*hugs*
    - Evelyn

4. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

What you're going to hear from everyone else: don't do it :l And if you can't stop doing it, at least do it to a lesser degree, or less frequently.

Anyways, to the point, the best way to cover it up is with make-up like Fugs said. But only if they're old ones. Don't get infections by applying make-up there, but don't be suspicious with your use of make-up either. Allow me to explain: Not necessarily being caught in the act, but different people use different make-up. You will need make-up that is specific, or at least close enough to your complexion.

Just reinstating what Fugs said, where a long-sleeve shirt, at least a light materialed one for fresh cuts.

Best of Luck friend ^^

5. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You really should stop self harm and seek out help, but I do honestly understand how hard that is because I've done it on and off for years. Like others said, makeup and long sleeves. If you are going to continue, do it on the thighs like fugs said because those are so much easier to hide just make sure your shorts or swimsuit bottoms are long enough. Upper thighs is usually best. But honestly, it's a bad habit to quit so try to stop it ahead of time and find an outlet or don't its all your choice

6. BelleFromHell

Try putting scar cream on them... I guess..?

For a quick and temporary coverup, you could try using foundation, but don't use it on fresh wounds, and try to get the hypoallergenic kind. (ESPECIALLY if your skin is as sensitive as mine)

When I was little, I used to pick on the scabs on my skin and they all turned into ugly white scars. Now, they've faded away, and you can't tell there were any scabs there.

It's completely pointless for me to say this considering everyone else on here already has, but you need to stop cutting if you haven't already.

#6 BelleFromHell, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have fresh scars or scratches, it's important to treat them quickly. Clean them and apply plasters/bandages as necessary. It doesn't sound like you are cutting at this stage, but if you do you may need stitches. If you can't face medical attention, do invest in proper skin closures.

To reduce the appearance of scratches and scars, gently massage the healed area. Buy some bio oil and massage in with cotton wool (best in the evening to allow it to soak into your skin). Alternatively, use Vitamin E cream or Cocoa Butter.

Make up or temporary tattoo's may be effective in covering up scratches and scars.

I'm not going to tell you to stop doing it, but I would urge you to consider alternatives to scratching or cutting. Is there anything that you already try?

Do you understand your relationship with self injury and the causes and issues that lead to it? What support do you have in place, if any, to help you deal with these things?

8. legend223

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Please stop self harming. It creates scars that you will have to deal with for the rest of your life. I started when I was your age because I always thought the scars from it would heal. I never had a problem. I just thought cutting myself was cool. THe scars do not heal and go away. As you get older people will come to judge you for something you did at a very young age. Take my advice and stop while you are ahead. I am 30 years old and still cannot escape something I did to myself over 15 years ago. THe self harm has damaging effects on your relationships with people and the world.

9. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to self harm too. I would say stop doing it, as everyone else has said, but to cover up the scars/scratches you already do have, wear a light long sleeved shirt and try putting cream on them to help them heal faster. That's what I did.

10. Orange Bananas

Please don't self-harm. :frowning2:

11. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a month old and telling someone to stop self harming rarely every stops them from self harming.

12. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's true...that's why I said I would say to stop. I know that not much that people told me helped me to stop. Only I made it stop.