1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused About How I Feel Towards a Friend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Closeted17, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Closeted17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, so I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Been reading a lot on here for a while, looking for advice to come out and everything afterwards.

Anyways, I recently came out to a friend, who is really my best friend, even though I've never met him in real life. I'm an avid gamer and he's just one of many people I've gotten to truly know and trust over the years.

He was completely accepting, as I knew he'd be. I trust him a lot and I feel like our good friendship is mutual, although he constantly jokes about everything. My sexuality is one of the first things he took seriously and didn't immediately make some joke about, as he normally would. In fact, he was even compassionate. He told me he feels bad that I'm put in the position I'm in where I don't feel comfortable coming out until a few months from now because I'm currently in high school and surrounded by immature idiots.

Then again, he's probably a sex addict, at least based on his stories, and most of his compassion probably comes from knowing I haven't had sex and won't for months, which is basically his favorite activity.

Regardless... Even though he's straight, I think he's attractive and funny and we have a lot in common. And I've found myself looking for excuses to talk with him and build our friendship. But, I'm wondering if I want to become better friends because he's the only person I don't have to really censor myself around, or if I'm becoming sexually attracted to him despite the futility of it (due to both his sexuality and the fact that we live states away).

So, I guess what I'm asking is how do I know if I want to be friends with a guy or if I want to be boyfriends with a guy? This is something I really haven't been able to straighten out for myself :frowning2:

2. emkorora

emkorora Guest

First and foremost, I think you will begin to detect whether there's an interest in friendship versus partnership once you have more experience. But for right now-- it is difficult to know.

But, from what you described, you kind of hit the nail on the head. :\ It sounds like your interest in him is of a romantic nature.

3. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It does sound like you like this guy in a romantic way. Wait some time to be sure because sometimes it can be a bit tricky to differentiate friendly and romantic feelings. Try seeing how thinking about touching him or kissing him makes you feel? If it feels weird to think about, it may be friendly feelings, but if you enjoy it and want it to happen then it's most likely romantic feelings

4. Closeted17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's what I'm afraid of, lol. I hate being attracted to straight guys :frowning2: actually sucks so much.

Also, I do like the idea of touching or kissing him, but anything more than that feels wrong. Is it normal to have feelings for a guy but not be able to picture yourself doing anything more than that?

Thanks for feedback guys :slight_smile: