1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay parenting

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gaygirl1, Apr 21, 2014.

1. gaygirl1

gaygirl1 Guest

Family is important to me, and I really want to have children. I want experience how its like being a mom. What experiences do you have with gay parenting? Is it hard to adopt a child if you are gay? Do people judge you?

I am afraid that my kids will get bullied for having two moms. Is it then selfish of me to want kids? I don't want my children to have a hard life and be unhappy, because I am gay :icon_sad:

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey gaygirl1, welcome to EC!

If you are human, and you have love to give to both a partner and children, then it doesn't matter what the world thinks. It's not selfish to be either human or a parent. There could be so many other reasons not to bring kids into this troubled world, and yet we still do. Every child is God's hope that the next generation will do better than the last. It's not easy raising children, whether gay or straight, but each one is a lesson in love, and no human being should be deprived of that.

Think of it this way (from Khalil Gibran): your children do not belong to you, they are a manifestation of life's longing for itself.

All you need to do is love them with all your heart and teach them your courage, the kind of courage that allows you to be yourselves. Through your example, they will be able to face the inevitable challenges of life, and these are not exclusive to us LGBT folk.

3. Clay

I wouldn't exactly worry about other people judging you, and it's not selfish no. Plus your kids wont be unhappy because you're gay, as long as you raise them as best you can and love them then they'll love you.

I want to have kids too so I know your frustrations there. I got a little down the other day because I know a lot of people my age that have kids (mostly accidental) and something that was so easy for them, even to the stage where it was accidental, will be incredibly difficult for me to achieve.

4. gaygirl1

gaygirl1 Guest

Thanks you guys for your response. I really appreciate it! :slight_smile: