1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I tell my mum that I've subscribed to Gay Times?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TizianoBae, Apr 21, 2014.

1. TizianoBae

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone, I've just subscribed to a Gay Lifestyle magazine (Gay Times) although I don't know if my mum would be happy with this, do you think she'd care? Honestly? :confused:

Also how can I tell my grandmother that I'm gay?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I guess your mum's reaction and/or whether she would care depends in large part on how she reacted to your coming out. Was your mum accepting/supportive? I would think that if she was, it should be fine, or at least it shouldn't be a big deal. If you wanted to, and feel it would be okay to do so, you could always mention it in passing, if you feel she should be aware of it before it arrives in the mail.

As for coming out to your grandmother, and if you feel comfortable, you could speak with her one on one when you get a chance. If you don't feel comfortable with coming out in person, maybe try writing a letter. You could then give the letter to her, the next time you see her (if you live nearby); or send it to her. Do you feel that your grandmother would be supportive?

3. MisterScruff

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If your family knows that you're gay then I hardly think they'll be surprised that you're investing in homosexual literature. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If someone finds it that doesn't know that you're gay just respond with, "SURPRISE!" :grin: In all seriousness, don't be worried about this. Its great that you are embracing who you are at such a young age. I respect and commend you for that!

4. TizianoBae

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for your answers, I think my mum would be OK with this as my coming out was taken as very good and surprising, so she wouldn't care, as for telling my grandmother I might tell her in May as I feel it's the right time. :slight_smile:

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't actually need to tell her as it's delivered in a grey/black sealed plastic envelope with no mention of (Gay) Times. She might be curious, but you don't need to tell her and she will not know.

6. JohnB

Just let her see it or something. It's out there if you subscribed to it. Interesting way for her to find it. Why, I wrote letter telling I am gay, and I just eave it in my room for someone of my family to find......if they dig around. Lol. Why, I am pretty sure one of these days, my fam's gonna end up finding this site I am constantly on, and if they find out, than let them find out.