1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talent and stuff....

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlsOn, Apr 22, 2014.

1. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

When do you know you've got talent in something?
    Cause my mom says I've got talent in drawing and stuff but I'm not sure.

I would like to go to an art school and I'm up to sign in for that school.
    But there's a receptive test. I failed it last year and I'm not sure if I've got the talent for that at all.

Thanks anyway:slight_smile:

2. IwillBeStrong

I personally believe its not about talent at all. You gotta be skilled and be willing to work really really hard. Hard work beats any kind of talent so if art is your passion and if it motivates you to work hard then you should definitely try it again :wink:

Even if you should fail it again, that does NOT mean that you are not talented. Im pretty sure you are a great artist and they'll take you!

All the best Charlson!

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I love art but I'm not ambitious. We'll see whether I pass the test or not:slight_smile:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talent is worth fairly little the farther on you go in life. It just improves the results you get from hard work. You still have to bust ass to achieve anything worthwhile, but the difference is that talented people can rise to greater heights.

So I think you should go for that art school if it's what you want, and expect to sacrifice. It'll be worth it. :slight_smile:

5. Shineye

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    hei Charl... I love drawing too..
    I would show you some of my art but I read it's prohibited to post links from other websites right?
    anyway ... I've been to an art school and want to continue with drawing as a profession
    Someone can believe you have talent in drawing while someone else might disregard it, it's all subjective here
    It's a bit of a hard and rocky path ahead but I found it worth it and /i enjoy it very much''
    I didn't have much skills when I applied and entered the school but my latent talent kinda of came to surface bit by bit :grin:
    so you can make your talent come out if you work

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose talent tends to be when you can get good at something without as much effort and/or training as most people.

Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't work really hard as this is required for even the most talented to master something. It just means you won't struggle as much and should progress quickly or at the least at a consistently steady rate given the effort.

So, in the case of drawing, if you find you can visualise and put to paper something with easily and it looks really good after, you could state you have a talent for drawing. If you break it down, it may be you have good dexterity along with the ability to accurately copy the image in your mind. That being said though, talent doesn't necessarily grant say, creativity and so again will only take you so far.

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Wow!! Thank you guys!!!:slight_smile:
    You helped me a lot!!
    I'm really glad you all answered!!:slight_smile:

8. Calix

Some people have a natural talent, but unless they work at it, it can never become something worth looking at. When I was 13/14 my best friend seemed to be amazing at writing while I sucked. Even so I kept doing it and now surpass her as she's grown bored of the hobby. :slight_smile:

So no matter what it is you want to do, or how bad you think you are at it - just keep trying! ^.^

9. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an artist, a good enough one to make money at it.

If you feel that drawing is something you wish pursue then by all mean do :slight_smile: Intrinsic talent will only get you so far but that's why we learn. My best advice to you is to continue drawing. Keep a sketchpad on you and draw what you see.

The path of an artist is a difficult but very rewarding one. It's normal to feel frustrated and doubt yourself - we are our own worst critics after all - but it's part of the journey.

Don't be discouraged :slight_smile:

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    post some of your pictures. I'll be brutally honest with what I think.

but yeah, it is more about working hard than innateness. :thumbsup:

11. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I already posted some in my albums.
    Thanks a lot again!!!:slight_smile:

@OrangeLinen, what exactly does an artist do?

12. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that you have talent, no question. You have a great handle on shading, which is quite complex. I'd say to go for it. Make sure to bring a portfolio with your best work. :thumbsup:

13. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Thanks a lot:slight_smile:
    The thing is til now most of my work are dragons I drew in school:grin:
    But yea, I will.

14. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whatever we want.

For me, it's sculpting. I actually cannot draw very well, but I am a master of the third dimension. Some draw, some paint, some do artisan crafts like woodburning.

I'm freelance. No formal training so I don't consider myself a professional, but I have a steady stream of commission enquiries nonetheless.

Your drawings are very good. I used to sketch trees like that too :slight_smile: The wing is very good indeed. Shading is tricky and you've got a great grasp of it. I think you definitely have talent. Keep practicing and you'll only get better :slight_smile: