1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK National Insurance question

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Apr 24, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK so this one is for those of you with any kind of knowledge about national insurance and tax.

I've just been on the phone to the national insurance people to tell them about a change of name. They asked me what title I was using and I answered 'Miss'.

Thing is this sent up a flag because I'm not declaring a gender change and I CAN'T do that without a gender recognition certificate which I don't have and won't do for years.

Anyway I was under the impression that there wasn't any legal restriction as to which title you can use providing it isn't an 'earned' title.

But this very helpful guy goes off to check.

They appear to be changing the name but he isn't sure about the title which leaves me with a potential problem.

On application forms I tick 'female'. My passport will hopefully soon say 'female' too, and so will any other ID which the government websites assures me is perfectly fine.

Which means if I get a new job and they need to sort out tax things, is my new employer going to start getting told that I'm really a guy and that we are all trying to commit some sort of fraud?