1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on telling your Psycologist you want to get a new one.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheFSM, Apr 24, 2014.

1. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically, she is an Ignorant asshole that thinks that genderqueers are just confused ect.
    I want to get a new pyscologist. I don't talk to her about gender or sexualitly because of this kind of shit.
    I think I am going to tell her that I feel like I cannot talk to her. Or sth like that.. DO you have other suggestions?
    :help:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless the medical system in Germany is wildly different than in the US, you don't owe her shit. You should be able to simply say "I'm terminating therapy with you. I'm not benefiting from it." and make it clear you don't wish to discuss it further.

If you really want to, you could tell her that you've felt enormous empathy failures from her, that she's been very judgmental and it doesn't make you feel safe. That might help her in the future, but it isn't your responsibility to share that with her.

3. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    ok, I do not know how that works here, but thanks for the response :slight_smile:

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Oh man, I can relate. Not necessarily out of gender related issues, but I saw a therapist to help me get over my hatred of my sexuality. She said she was a LGBT supporter, but said so many disgusting things to me like I'll eventually want to have sex with a man and that sex with men is more emotional than with women. I was so pissed.

So what did I do? I ended up just calling her over the phone instead, and I just said it wasn't working out. I didn't even say why I wanted to leave because she left it at that.

I'm seeing a new therapist now that is really accepting of different sexualities and gender identities. I feel like I can talk to her about anything. So there will DEFINITELY be better psychologists out there. You just have to tell her It's not working out so you can move on.

5. JustMe2602

You shouldn't be nasty about it even though you may dislike her very much (which I can imagine) but tell her in a polite way that this isn't working for you and you think that it would be a better for you if you found another psychologist. Keep it about you, not about what she does wrong.

6. apostrophied

Option #1: Just don't book another appointment. Or book one, cancel it later and tell her you'll get back in touch to book another one. Then don't call back.

Option #2: Tell her what's on your mind so she knows why you flushed her. Be considerate in how you phrase it if you want her to take you seriously, though.

7. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the support and advice guys, yesterday I told her that I feel like I can't talk to her... she aked me if i know why. I told her that i don't know. she aked me to think about it tlii I see her next time.I guess i will justhave to tell her that I have differnt oppinoins then her on certain topics...
    I get that bieng rude doesn't help. but she basicall thinks that you have to be binary. And she says a lot of bad shit. i eill try to find a nwe psycologist. Maby there are some that are more lgbtq+ supportive in my town....
    I go to her regukarly 2 times a week no appointment booking involved.
    the phone thing is a good idea. I am just kind of scared that i I quit the pyscology: I won't get another one in moths.