1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Singing Practice Advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kabuki, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Kabuki

Hey :smilewave I wanted to ask if anyone can give me a few advice, be it from videos or written info, on how to improve my voice. I used to be part of choir in middle school but since then I haven't practice or developed my voice. I know some thing about vocalization, but I'm more concerned on the breathing part. I have asthma(not severe) and I always run out of air too fast, I also want to know ways to strengthen my diaphragm muscle.

Any advice is welcomed :thumbsup:

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

To warm up your voice before singing i think. But I'm no expert:grin:

3. Kabuki

I do that most of the time, I know about it :lol: Thanks for answering anyways, this might help other who maybe don't know anything at all. (*hug*)

4. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Well, posture is very important, you want to stand up/ sit up as straight as possible, do not bend your knees if you are standing, and do not cross your arms as it constricts your chest cavity killing your breath support...

Breath Support: Be taking full, deep breaths, and use it to breathe out the words you are singing. As stated before- posture is important.

Tall Vowels: Open up your mouth more as you speak so you can pronounce words with a better and crisper sound

And then it all comes down to practice and how consistent you are with your singing, and or your health i.e. sore throats, phlegm, etc.
    :3

5. Kabuki

Do you know any breathing exercises to keep longer notes? You know, to acquire more air capacity.

6. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Warm up your voice before you sing. Like any other activity that involves applying stress to a particular part of you body, your vocal cords are no different and need to be prepared for the stress of singing. As far as the breathing goes, I would suggest seeing a vocal coach to get the notes and the longevity of those notes that you're looking for.

7. Kabuki

Thanks Helperman

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what I never remember to do. I try to keep up with my favorite singers as a song is playing, but if I just ate greasy food and haven't warmed up, there isn't a prayer I'll be able to hit the notes they do. But when I'm ready on a good day, I can nail them. :grin:

^^My tidbit is that diet is important. Anything with oils in it including milk can "gum up" the vocal cords to some degree, limiting their function just enough to annoy you when singing.

9. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When you breathe in, push your stomach OUT. Practice breathing like that. And try not to lift your shoulders when you're breathing in.

Try to tighten your entire diaphragm area when you sing. It gives you incredible power when you do that.

And always warm up before you start :slight_smile:

10. Kabuki

Thanks Argentwing and Opheliac :slight_smile:

The thing that is a bit hard is to tighten my diaphragm. I guess I need to practice on that one more.

About oily things:
    That is true, whenever I drink milk or something like that my voice becomes very weird. So that is why it becomes like that, thanks for that info :slight_smile:

11. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    To practice maintaining and shifting smoothly between notes, try to do a 'siren' noise during warm up. By this I mean start with the lowest note you can produce, deep in your diaphragm, then slowly go higher up to the highest note in your throat then go back down again. Also try doing this quickly to get the hang of different speeds. This exercise will also give you a better idea of which notes you can comfortably produce in your diaphragm (low notes) and which in head voice (high notes). Some people can produce higher notes from the diaphragm than others, but don't try to force it to do the high notes if they don't come naturally, use head voice (your throat) for those.