1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can one's main interest change?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Illus1, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Illus1

Hi all,

So I'm studying Engineering at university and for many years it has captured my interest. Unfortunately at the moment I'm veering away from science and spending lots of my precious time reading about history and other aspects of the humanities. They seem to be my true love, they were from my teenage years but I also liked (and for some time loved) science and was led to believe that a degree in history would not do me any good in the job sector.

It is affecting my studies and unlike in the USA we in Europe don't have that many elective courses, it is a fixed packet and one has to take the necessary engineering subjects to get the degree.

Is this common? And what on earth shall I do? How do I force myself to complete my degree. And to go for the humanities seems like a undertaking that I can't possibly start at the moment. Is it right to force one's self to do something one does not find that interesting anymore?

2. themoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't have to complete the course if you don't want to. Some universities may let you switch courses (i.e. start again on a new course) but you will still incur the financial hit. It's really up to you - there isn't any point in forcing yourself to get a degree in something that you will never use in your future career really.