1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with my faith: Being a Christian and Bi just doesn't work

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by phoenix89, Apr 26, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last night I slept without wearing my cross necklace for the first time in awhile. I have taken it off to clean it and simply forgot to put it back on, but last night I took it off because I didn't want to wear it.

I love my necklace, it is silver chain with stainless steel cross, a stainless steel gemstone charm, both that are held on with a brass fishing swivel (the jump ring broke and my family didn't have any but did have fishing swivels, so we used that to fix it). My Dad gave my the chain for Christmas, and the charm one day and it is his swivel that is holding the charm and cross(which I bought) on. It is a gift and I love wearing it because of that, but at the same time, it feels really "heavy"(metaphorically).

When I came out as questioning, I told one of the staff members of the church I used to attend. I told her on Feb 23, this was the last attended church, and that following weekend Feb. 28-Mar. 1, I went on a Women's Weekend retreat, and that was a horrible idea. It was led by an "Ex-gay" speaker. She said some horrible, horrible things that really hurt. I tried to have my guard up, but at the same time you can only take so much before it is too much. This event was the last event that I ever did with my former church.

I had talked with the staff member that I had told and after about of staggered facebook messages, I sent her a message telling her I quit the church. That was on March 12. So for the rest of March I had to deal with the fact that I was not only questioning my sexuality, but I had also lost my church. I ended up coming to term that I am in face bi on March 20, ended up meeting with this staff member on April 10, and I sent her a letter two days before that about everything that was on my mind. We were able to reconcile our difference, but I am yet to be able to return to that church. The pain is just too much. I have not been able to go to church at all since Feb. 23. Which hurts I have not missed an Easter church since in seven year, and I couldn't go this year. I couldn't even go to my home church, because I am scared.

I am scared about how people might react with me being bi, and the fact that I have started dating my boyfriend is a Trans*guy. I do not know how they would react to that. I feel like I am testing the waters too much with all of this. I want to go too church again, but I am so scared. There are a couple of Open and Affirming churches in the town that I am currently living in, but at the same time, I am moving back home in two weeks. There are not Open and Affirming churches in my hometown.

My faith has taken a hit over all of this. I know that church is not require to be a Christian, but I want the opportunity to go if I felt like going, but right now I do not have that. I feel hated, because of who I am, and that I do not belong as a part of the Christian church. That really sucks, it really does. I feel like I cannot be a Christian and Bi, I feel like it just doesn't work that way. I want to be both, they are both who I am, but why do that have to contradict so much.

Is it even worth being a Christian at this point, if the religion as a whole hates me for how God created me?

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How you feel and what you believe will ultimately be your choice. No one here can tell you what to do and all we can give is our opinion.

But let's address the issues here. First of all being bi is a completely natural thing and you must first accept that there is nothing wrong with you. I know that can be difficult, especially if you have been brought up and follow a religion that sees you as fundamentally broken.

Let me be the first to tell that you are not. There is nothing wrong with you or how you feel and to anyone who cannot accept that, it's them who have something wrong with them, not you...

Now despite being an atheist, I'm not going to tell you not to be a Christian. I have no right to do that. But perhaps you could examine your religion with a more critical eye. If you are choosing to give up your religion, you need to do it because you no longer believe, not because some of the people upset you.

I suggest you take a step back and do some personal reflection as to what you feel and believe. And if you are afraid because of your religion, just ask yourself, would a loving god judge you badly if you made the best attempt you could to understand with the mind you have, but came to a wrong conclusion (not that I think non-belief is, but that's a different debate).

Anyway, whatever you do, I sincerely hope it turns out for the best.

If you would like to discuss further, feel free to message me.

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wonder if Christ came back today what he would say to some of his so called "Christian" churches. :frowning2:

When I was hearing homophobic crap from a pastor from my former church, none of it was allegedly quotes from Jesus, it was all other parts of the bible.

#3 sldanlm, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  4. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Here's a quote from Jesus for your pastor to chew upon:

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That has a sort of us vs. them feel to it when applied to other churchgoers, but I tentatively agree with it. Just because some people use Jesus to keep their nasty prejudices doesn't mean he doesn't love and embrace you fully. If you believe God has a plan, you'd better believe that making you just the way you are is part of it.

6. TossAWatermelon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with everything that's already been said. The Bible bashing rhetoric from some Churches makes me sick to my stomach because it's so contrary to the most fundamental teachings of Christ. He summed everything up in a few short sentences (summarised): Love God and Love your neighbour - there is no commandment greater than these.. on these two commandments hang all the law and prophets.

It's very simple really. Jesus never told us to cut and paste passages from scripture to preach hate and intolerance.

You can be bi and Christian - of course you can. Don't allow the idiots to destroy your faith Phoenix. Your faith needs you!

Personally, I would travel some miles to worship in a Church that accepts me for who I am. It might be inconvenient and I might not make it every week, but I'd rather do that than go to a local Church where I'm not welcome. What do you think?

For a bit of inspiration I'll finish with this news report from the BBC, in which the wonderful Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa shares his views. This is the sort of Christian we should look up to:

BBC News - Archbishop Tutu 'would not worship a homophobic God'

8. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If they are true Christians they will not judge because it's not their right or their job to judge. If they truly know their bible they will know that. That said, I know it's hard to live in the "bible belt" of America and try to live a life that isn't "normal"....although the only "normal" I recognize is the setting on my washing machine but that's a different story. The point is, if they are truly loving caring Christians they won't care about your sexuality or what you have done in the past. But, you still need to prepare yourself for the possibility that they might not be. Also, I don't know what the reason is that you are "bouncing" from one location to another like it says to the left, but staying in one location and finding (and sticking to) a "home church" that will accept you instead of moving from church to church will probably make things a lot easier for you and make you a happier person. Hope that helps.

9. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies everyone. This has been really tough for me lately. I have been trying to handle all of this, but it seems like everytime I make progress on it I get triggered. I go triggered from a stupid facebook post the other day.

I know that being bi is completely normal, and I am trying to accept that. I have only been out for a little over a month, so I am still every new at this. It is just so hard being a Christian and Bi, they really do not go hand in hand.

Linco, you bring up a good point.
    Right now I am taking a break from church all together.

I will have to look at the link though.

10. Jack of Hearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm Bi and Christian and I totally undestand you, I've been there as well :icon_wink What I truly believe inside myself is what made me reconciliate both terms, and I believe in a God of pure love, justice and respect to the other that wants me to be happy and to live my own inner truth given by Him.

The Bible may condemn homosexuality in one or two texts, but remember that the Sacred Book has been translated MILLIONS of times, so the possibility of changing/cutting/adding information to such ancient documents is high. As they say: "who tells a tale adds a tail".
    Besides, it is known that some books have been cut from the original Bible and are probably hidden in the secret library of the Vatican, which leads me to believe that there is more to be known and interests behind it. I fully trust in God, but not in the human actions.

Above it all, listen to your heart, it's where you will find His word :thumbsup:

11. Best of Both

Best of Both Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm an evolutionist and I have not been in a church since I was 10

12. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are happy that works. I believe in evolution, but I also believe in God. I just need to figure out what my beliefs are overall, which is hard.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 11:48 PM ----------

I am yet to put my cross back on. My boyfriend gave me his equality ring and I put it on my chain instead of the cross. It still hurts not wearing my cross but I love the ring so much and it has been so helpful.

I am going to talk with a former Sunday School teacher tomorrow afternoon. She is very understanding and will have no problem that I am bi or dating a transguy. I can talk with her about anything. The only problem is that she live 3 hours away so I can only call her, but hey that is better than nothing at this point. I will post an update after our conversation.

13. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    phoenix89 I hope that your conversation goes well...however, I am still wary.

I am a Christian too, and I can relate somewhat to your feeling of distrust of the Church, right now. I think what helped me reconcile my faith with my orientation was simply God's voice in my heart...telling me He knew me, had always known me, and loved me unconditionally. And that I need not fear.

I have another couple of resources for you:

https://www.gaychristian.net/
    GREAT articles

and

The Christian Closet - Welcome

The latter is actually the website of a licensed gay Christian counselor who helps people just like you in your situation work through their struggles with their Christian faith and their orientation. Her website's articles, resources & links are amazing, and so encouraging. (You don't have to do a counseling session to benefit from that! :wink: However, she also does regular counseling sessions over the web or phone.)

I would highly encourage you to read up some of the resources we've talked about, and as another poster said - find an affirming church you can visit, even if it's a bit of a trip and you can only get to it semi-regularly. I think your pain and the hard feelings you're experiencing right now would be greatly soothed by being shown God's love for you, through the heart of Jesus as shown by the believers there.

I will keep you in my prayers. (*hug*)

And if I may, can I recommend meditating on Acts 10:1-11:18? I believe grace covers more than most human beings can imagine. <3

I'm open to talk any time you need, if you'd like, as well. :slight_smile:

14. PeytonRose

I came out as a trans female to a friend of mine who is a devout Christian. At first she used the line, "God made you perfect. You were born a male, so you're a male." Recently though she decided to support me. She said that she loves my name and no matter what wants to make sure that I know that she loves me. Not only that but she has a feminine son and me coming out as trans* got her thinking about her son. She's not crossing that bridge until it comes up, IF it comes up but I'll be there for her if/when she needs it.

The catch is though she said something the other day that really stuck with me. She said that Jesus himself never EVER said anything against homosexuality. She said that no matter what I need to remember this and that Jesus and God love me for me. (It should be noted I'm agnostic but that's besides the point.) She also said that if anyone tries to give me the religious remark of God doesn't love me for whatever reason to send them her way and she'll set them straight.

I suggested she join these boards but I haven't seen her very active. I'll let her know about this thread though so she can weigh in if you'd like :slight_smile:

15. YourThornyRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel - I went to a Catholic middle school, and one of the teachers said I'd go to hell for being bi. I was lucky enough to be part of a liberal church and family, both of whom supported my coming out. It's important to know that you are not hated by the religion as a whole - I have met many Christian laypeople and clergy members who are gay themselves, or support people who are LGBT. Just remember - there is no way to make God hate you - He loves everybody the way He created them.

If you need any help, you can message me.

16. littlefish77

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not all Christians judge by your sexuality. There are even Churches just for gay people. God loves us all and shame on anyone who has made you feel differently. Two men in the bible state being gay is a sin. Paul I believe and then there is the whole Sodom and Gammorah story. But the story about the city set to fire is a city full of gay and bi and straight people who sleep with multiple folks as a fornication as well as rape each other. There is no love there. And Jesus was sent to us to die for our sins. When he walked the earth many things changed. No where does he says being gay is a sin. In my opinion as a straight christian as long as you LOVE it isn't a sin. But if it is a form of fornication then it is a sin no different than a straight person who does the same.

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2014 at 09:44 AM ----------

Please to ANY of you who have been casted out of your church or made to feel unloved don't turn your back on God....it isn't his teachings to cast out anyone. And to anyone who says you are a sinner, they are a sinner as well and no sin is bigger or worse than the other. I've literally left churches because of how they preach against gays. But in the country town of Guyton, GA I did find a church where the preacher teaches love. Read the books of John. He speaks deeply about the teachings of Jesus. That is what a true christian is. Love.

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2014 at 09:47 AM ----------

And YES SOFIYA I love you for you my friend just as God does.

#16 littlefish77, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  17. Hey! I'm a Christian and I identify as bisexual too.

I really never had much trouble excepting me being bisexual other than religious reasons, only at the very beginning. But, every now and then, because of my family believing all of the gay stereotypes and that being LGBTQ is a sin, I get really insecure.

I questioned my faith because of this too, but I looked at some points...

1. Why would God punish for a thing such as love?
    2. What if my church and my family are making the same mistakes as "Christians" who used the Bible to support slavery, discard women's rights, and go against interracial marriage when it comes to gay people as well?
    3. In the Bible, perhaps things are translated in a way to where it seems like it means what it looks like, but just like when translating some of the Korean songs to English, I notice that a lot of the time, some of the different phrases have a deeper meaning in Korean.
    4. After the same Sodom and Gomorrah story people use to claim that the town was destroyed by homosexuality, Lot's (the guy who was saved from the destruction) own daughters had sex with him and had a son, and God didn't even punish him for that!!
    5. If polygamy and incest were acceptable back in Old Testament times, since homosexuality is way more decent than those two, then why wouldn't loving homosexual relationships be okay?
    6. Also, many scriptures that seemingly refer to homosexuality may really just be talking about homosexual rape, which is so much different than a loving relationship between two people of the same gender.

Another thing, if so many Christians have so many different beliefs on homosexuality, than how can anyone really know the truth?? Because of that, I just decided to go with my heart and what felt true to it. It may also help your faith if you just focus in your personal relationship with Him, instead of all the religion around you. Remember, religion is a man made twist on what THEY think God says, but in a relationship with God himself, you find more peace and comfort and love. Plus, if He, apart from all the religious stuff you hear, if God personally doesn't tell you anything through your heart about it, then I would just be happy and continue to follow your heart: With both your faith and your future relationships with people!

I understand how much it hurts, my dad had yelled at me just for wanting to LGBTQ community once I stressed it to him. No matter what I tell my parents, they both want to ignorant and not even listen to what I have to say, so I just forget about what they think. And let me tell you that's not easy, but also remember you do want to love and be thankful of your parents to for taking care of you, but don't let them destroy you.

Also remember that your didn't grow up in a time like you did where you could think for yourself. They were basically forced to believe the same lies that generation after generation taught them. And after 60 (or however old your parents are) plus years of believing the same thing, well, you are probably going to be brainwashed almost forever - There is still hope they can change though. But even if they don't, know that God has a loving heart and He wouldn't judge you for what you couldn't help!

If you need to get out of church for a while, that is absolutely fine. Because church doesn't equal being a Christian. I really don't have much of a choice in the matter, but if my pastor starts preaching something negative on homosexuality, I'll start to leave to go to the "bathroom".

So, yes, it hurts, but please, don't feel like you have to abandon God just because of haters who use the Christian label wrongly! Remember that God loves you, we all love you, and even some other Christians (like me) love you for who you are as well!!! Stay strong and if you ever need to talk more, let me know!! :slight_smile:

18. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Sooo much wisdom in that post. :slight_smile:

Seconded.

19. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Check out the gay christian network. they have some helpful resources.
    I'm super christian and Gay myself and I tell you, it hurts.
    I'll be praying for you.
    Remember, God made us gay for a reason, and some people will not like it. But he loves us all the same.

20. Seagypsy

Hey I am Christian and Bi (*hug*)

The way I see it is, it's not about who you are, but being a Christian can help you to live your life in a way which doesn't hurt people or cause anyone pain. If you know that's the path you are following, you can't really go wrong :icon_wink