1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stress

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jaysuss, Apr 27, 2014.

1. jaysuss

How do people cope with stress in this world. Like I have all this stress from going to school, working three jobs, and trying to get my emt certificate done and starting real estate school. I have to deal with the drama of high school and in fact the one that tips the scale the most is being in the gay community. Its not like im really stressed about being gay but its the community itself. Why are there so many bad people in it who act off the idea of the purely sexualized form of us. I try soo hard to not look like a piece of meat and it just keeps getting worse and worse. How do people cope with it all. I can't avoid it it seems because i try too so i need to know how to cope.

2. Colours

Three jobs though? Maybe cut it down a bit? You're only 17...

3. Yuteno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a pretty stressful time at uni so far and I find that things tend to compound. At some point, stepping away and having some you time can help.

Try and relax and make sure you have some time yourself. Share your problems too! Talking about it helps me and getting other people's opinion. Forums like this are good but also maybe talking to someone at your school about the stress youre feeling?

4. jaysuss

These are all helpful but I feel like its too general. I need some ways to cope with it instead of trying to eliminate it cause its all needed

5. Jonathan

Honestly, the best advice that I can think of in this kind of situation is to take it a day at a time. Try not to think of problems and work that you have to do too far in advance. With all the things you have on your plate, it's not surprising that you would get stressed out or overwhelmed when looking at it all. Don't try to deal with all of your problems at once, but rather focus on "today problems" where it's something that has to be done in the immediate future. Also, even if you don't want to drop any of the things that you are doing (like the three jobs), make sure to plan some time in the day for you to relax and unwind. If you are constantly on the run doing things, you are going to burn yourself out.

6. robclem21

Hi there,

I don't know if this will be any less general, but it is what I use to cope with stress and it generally works well for me. There are only so many hours in a day and time management is the best way to cope with stress. Sometimes it feels overwhelming and all you really need is some time alone to let it all decompress. No matter how busy you get its important to find something that you enjoy doing and make sure to schedule time to do it.

For me that thing is biking. Obviously during the winter I need to go to the gym, but during the summer I get to spend that time outside. I treat it like another job and force its way into my schedule. When things get even busier I have to find a way to make sure thats not what gets cut out of my day because I know its what keeps me balanced and able to excel at the other things I do. It gives me time to not think about anything else other than the road, and it really is a nice mental break. I can vary the length, from 30 mins to 2-3 hours, and when I get back I feel rejuvenated and ready to keep going with everything else.

Only you know what will work for you, but find something that will help you strike a balance. Whether it is alone or with friends, make sure to schedule some you time into everything else and don't be afraid to prioritize it.