1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Socially Akward

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Apr 27, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

So lately I've been putting things into perspective, and I seem to be unable to hold an interesting conversation.Someone will ask me some things or tell me something and I answer in Nonchalant "Yes's" and Ok's. How can I fix this?

2. Lorn

The simplest way would be to go into a little more detail, but not so much that your listener feels like they've opened a Pandora's box of personal information. Another sentence or two beyond a yes or a no is usually good to give the listener something to think about or something to discuss.

"Do you like music?"

1) "Yes."

2) "Yes, some of my favorites are x and y. I saw them live last year, too."

Of course, there might be other reasons why someone is hesitant to speak. Nervousness and anxiety are two common ones.

3. ZenMusic

I can keep eye cintact most of the time, but if I'm not focused on the conversatin (I also have a bong eye, yuck), I'll lose eye contact.

4. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also it's important to ask some questions to the other person, to keep it going.
    But don't rush, I used to have similar problems and I noticed that if you are not nervous, it comes naturally.

5. Yosia

Im socially awkward too!! Someone asked me today what my favorite drink was and i replied 'yes.' Thats how bad i am XD

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lorn has some good advice (above) ..

Also… have a few pre-prepared questions up your sleeve to help out when you can think of nothing else to say !!

It is awkward isn't it? But you can improve things by learning a few of these skills.
    Also .. listen in and observe how others make small talk when you are near to them

7. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just got to keep at it!!! I used to be so socially awkward!! I used to just stand and stare at people and just nod!! Who does that?!?! But you have to push yourself to say more! It may sound stupid sometimes, but you'll get the hang of it! I did! And trust me I was REALLY bad!

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still kinda socially awkward, but it's not too bad now. :slight_smile:
    You just have to try and talk to people and move past it being uncomfortable. :slight_smile:

9. PeytonRose

I'm still pretty socially awkward but find that it's easier/easiest to talk to people with similar interests. If people don't seem to hold too many similar interests as you, then I'd recommend find people that share interests. Sounds cliche but it's the truth :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can be myself when someone talks about anything regarding the criminal justice field. I have a lot of people I know just because we are pursuing the same field. W can talk about anything. you have to find people who you have things in common with ehether it be similar hobbies etc. best of luck

11. NattyBoo33

I have almost nothing going on in my life outside of work, and when my boss asks me 'what's new' I just tell him 'I don't know' or 'nothing really' because I cannot for the love of god think of something to say. I think this has kept me from being promoted probably as he thinks I'm too introverted. I'm not, I just currently have nothing at all going for me.

And then with most other people, I have almost nothing in common with them so there isn't really much to talk about.

12. mangotree

Look up: Get More Confidence or Dr Aziz on YouTube, he's got some great tips.

Also, Bill Gates recommended a book to me called "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a world that can't stop talking" - it might be enlightening for you too :slight_smile:

Sorry i'm pushing you toward other people instead of giving you advice of my own, but there's some amazing teachers out there.

13. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you find out how to keep a conversation going, let me know. I'm also socially awkward and people always point out how quiet I am - I hate that!!! If and when I eventually talk to someone, it's also just one or two word replies, or just a smile/nod, and the conversation quickly dies... :eusa_doh:

14. JohnB

This is me in groups of people.

Step 1: Think of something to say.

Step 2: Think about peoples' reaction.

Step 3: Realize it brings nothing to convo.

Step 4: Decide not to say anything and feel embarrassed.

Sucks.

Even one on one sometimes.

15. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to admit when someone asks me to tell them about myself I don't know what they want to know lol. I usually just tell them about school, but usually I guess they want me to get more personal. Woops.