1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How could I bring up the "are you gay?" question?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Firephyz, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Firephyz

I have this friend whom I've posted about before and who I'm crushing on right now. Just last Friday (wow two days ago!), I came out to him and told him I was gay :eusa_danc. His response was a very neutral "okay" and I don't what if that's good or bad relationship wise. He's friends with other people who are gay as well so I knew he wouldn't take the news badly.

Anyway, there are numerous things, too many to list, that make me suspect he might be gay as well. He's very loose with his sexuality and by that I mean he identifies as straight (well I really wouldn't know cause I never asked him) but at the same time, he doesn't care if people think he's gay. He's pretty touchy with guys also and not with girls. That might just mean he likes girls and is embarrassed to do that, I don't know.

Now that I came out to him, I'm dying to know if he's gay or not. The "so...are you gay?" question just seems like a question that won't fit nicely and fluidly into a conversion. If I asked him that, I feel like he would suspect that I liked him. As such, I've tried thinking of more indirect ways to get the same answer. The best candidate that I've thought of for now would be the "who do you like" conversion. And if he says some girl's name, that will be a sad day for me lol. But yeah, so any suggestions or advice on how to ask him if he's gay, either directly or indirectly, would be great. Thanks :icon_bigg

2. Best of Both

Best of Both Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Try honesty:
    I'm gay and I'm attracted to you. I'd like to ask you out, but only if you are interested.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think the best way to find out as to what his sexuality might be is to keep talking with him, and getting to know him. Asking him directly, "are you gay," would not be the best option to go about things. For now, you can safely assume that he is straight, unless he indicates otherwise. :slight_smile:

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think people generally try to just put it out there that they are open to hearing it if someone wants to tell, but people don't seem to generally just ask. In 42 years, out for half of them, literally no one has ever out and out asked me if I was gay--it's kinda strange actually, but it seems to be how it goes...

5. ok455

I would just pull him to the side whenever you two hang out and ask him "All Jokes aside are you gay or bisexual?" Playing that Geez i wonder if hes gay game is going to get old after a while.

I have a friend like that when we first hung out he threw some serious gay hints from touching to what he said to me. I asked him was he gay of course hes not, but sometimes he would throw hints here and there.