1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypocrisy at Home

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LaplaceScramble, Apr 28, 2014.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So yesterday I made a post saying "yay, first time wearing nail polish (it was black) I'm happy." And now I'm not.
    I made a mistake after using nail polish for the first time, in that I didn't use the proper coating or what have you, and when I washed my hands most of it came off. 'Whatever, no big deal,' I thought, 'I'll just put some more on later, maybe after dinner.' Then comes dinner (with my parents). As we start eating dinner the first things my parents notice are my fingernails, which is to be expected, because they're normally unpainted so any change to that would of course draw some attention.
    Before I tell them 'ya, I decided to use some nail polish' they say (along these lines at least) 'scrub your hands after dinner, it looks like you have nail polish on. It looks ridiculous' [keep in mind most of it's been washed off so it's just residual]
    At that point I think 'okay, maybe I won't tell them it's nail polish, I'll just say I got bored at work and drew on them.' So I say that. Which elicits a response of 'well why did you do that, now people will think you put nail polish on' and 'ugh, or they'll think you're goth' I've had similar conversation about my hair and how 'people will think it looks/what I'm doing with it is really feminine' (p.s. yay!), as well as my outfit decisions, in an attempt to transition into a more androgynous (and gothic) look.

What's more, my sister came out to them about being bi, and they had no problem with it, and say nothing when she talks about girls or possibly having a girlfriend. She also bounces back and forth between the stereotypical 'hipster' look and flower-child look, very different from their conservative dress style (and how they dressed us before they let us start buying our own clothes). But for whatever reason, whenever I do anything that could be construed as feminine, or just different, suddenly it's important how I'll be perceived. I mean, I would've expected them to treat my sister the same way they treat me, because they're the kind of people who are open-minded, until it's affecting them (so, basically, they're not). In all aspects outside of this they treat us pretty equally, so it's not like there's a favorite child scenario going on....unless since this is the only way they treat us differently there is...huh.

I'm positive I'm not the only who's experienced this sort of hypocrisy, either in the past or present, so I'm just trying to figure out why they have no problem with my sister , but when it's me suddenly a switch flips.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because, and you will forgive me for the expression "You're a MAN and you need to MAN UP, bitch!" (In the words of some bastard I heard yelling down a phone in town).

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2014 at 11:05 AM ----------

Should add...obviously you and I and everyone else here knows that you're not 'a man' like your parents do, but I'd bet money that's what they are thinking...mainly because I know my family thought basically the same thing!

3. Emmanuella

hmmmm.... maybe they were okay with having one "Gay" child... because they still had "hopes" deep down that the other one would bring them grandchildren etc. etc. etc...and that lovely little traditional family.

Maybe they are just having a hard time facing the fact that "BOTH" their children might be queer? Your sister may just have been the lucky one to have been the first to come out. I am out to my mom, but often worry how she would feel if my brother turned out to be gay as well?? I would feel that much more pressure to just settle down with some dude... (ok now I'm going off topic so I'll stop here).

I just wanted to let you know that it might not be anything personal at all.