1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Slothus, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm experiencing a lot of gender confusion at the moment and I've tried talking to friends about it but they're not very helpful as they have absolutely no experience with or knowledge about this sort of thing. The only option I can see at the moment, to help me work this out, is going to see a therapist. This does prove a small problem as to get that started I would need to do so through my Mum. I have not discussed this with her and don't plan on doing so until I'm sure. Should I just tell her I would like to see a therapist, but refuse to tell her why? We have a counselor at school but he has a tendency to break confidentiality and it would end up getting back to her anyway (plus I don't like him). Is there any way for me to get help without her [Mum] getting involved?(UK)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Trentacles

Are there any LGBT support groups in your area?

3. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there's an entire centre with LGBT related events and such but it's not something I would feel entirely comfortable with. I'll take a look though.

4. NicoletteChris

You don't have to directly tell her what's the matter in order to go. For example I'm having OCD thoughts currently linked to my sexuality that is giving me grief and anxiety but what I've told my mother just is I'm having OCD problems. I usually don't condone lying to parents but your therapist may understand if you tell your mom you're going through some teenage confusion or having difficulties in school or need someone to talk to then you could go to a therapist and explain to them you had to lie to come to them because you didn't feel safe yet telling your mom about your gender confusion. I know some in the closet teens who go to therapy for lgbt issues but their parents think they're there for other issues.

5. Trentacles

Haha, yeah. I know how you feel mate. I was just suggesting that since everyone here tells me to seek one out. I thought maybe they would have a councilor or someone to talk to but i honestly have no clue. I just started seeing a therapist / psychiatrist person last week and it's been really helpful to have an unbiased person to talk to. Are you out to your mum at all or no?

6. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She thinks I'm gay but no I haven't told her anything.

7. Trentacles

Hmm… well is she the type that would ask a lot of questions if you said you wanted to go? I mean you could always just say that you want to see a therapist about your sexuality (I know you said gender above) if that would be easier to explain to her or get her to go along with

8. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably not. I'm getting a lot of stress from school at the moment and I've had counselling before (divorce), so I could probably pass it off as something along those lines.

9. Trentacles

Yeah, I personally would go ahead and ask by trying to pass it off as one of those things and if she says no then rethink your options.

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you wouldn't have to tell her what all the issues are. Just say it would be helpful.

I wondered why you have to go through your mum - or whether you can go direct. (Or is it an insurance/ money matter???)

11. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeh I think it's covered by the NHS.