1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling stupid at the psychologist...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gentlady, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm seeing a psychologist for the problems I have with my family and friends. My parents are getting a divorce and I fight with my friends A LOT. I don't feel like I fit in with them... But everytime I talk to him and he listens to me quietly, I feel like he thinks I'm just another teen girl with stupid problems and who considers herself to be so important that she must get help for the littlest problems too... And that's not the case. I do not consider myself important, quite the opposite really. But I just feel so childish and stupid with my problems...

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your psychologist DID think like that, I don't think he would remain a psychologist for very long.

The thing is problems like yours are exactly the kind of thing most people in the profession will deal with most of the time, because those are really common things that people need help with. Sure it might not be as academically interesting for him as someone coming to him with multiple personalities or something but it doesn't matter, his job is to help you with your problems, whatever they happen to be.

Your problems will affect you in different ways than other people. Your parents getting a divorce might hit you really really hard, I didn't even think it bothered me until THIS WEEK and my parents got divorced 15 years ago!

Your problems hurt you, and he is there to help you get through them. Most people who go to him will have 'mundane' or 'boring' problems, he wouldn't last very long at his job if he didn't think you were worth his time!

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have nothing to feel stupid about. He's there to talk u through these things. A divorce crushes people especially when it's there parents. And I'm very sorry your going threw this hard time. (*hug*)

Sweet dreams I love u :kiss:

4. apostrophied

Perhaps he's not the right one for you? Some talk more, some talk less. Perhaps you'd do better with a counselor or social worker if you do not suffer from any kind of mental illness but are just having trouble coping with family stuff? All things to think about.

5. Sigrid

The great thing about psychologists is that you never have to feel stupid telling them anything. It's their job to listen to and help you with your problems, and I can assure you that they won't think any less of you for it.